CHAPTER-25

KATE:-

Everyone got up to get to work and then Trevor suddenly stopped them all 

''Oh yeah we forgot to tell you that we are engaged.'' even I was surprised by the way he put it. So blankly he just blurted it out , this wasn't the way I wanted to tell them.

''WHAT????'' They both asked in unison. John and Rose were left completely perplexed.

'' Uh- I-'' I didn't know what to say my mind went completely blank.

''All this time you just didn't mention even once that YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED?? Am I adopted or just not important to you anymore brother dear?'' Rose sounded a little pissed.

'' And you didn't even care to tell your bestfriend. Am I replaced in your life?'' They both are being so dramatic , so much chaos but it's fun breaking the news out like this.

''It just happened yesterday and you both are the first people to know about it stop being so dramatic.'' 

''oh...OH YOU BOTH ARE GETTING MARRIED OH MY GOD I WILL CRY!!''and now she is back on track , yep that's the Rose I know. 

''Yeah yeah we will celebrate later , right now get to work.''

''Are you sure you want to marry this boring man? You still have time Kate..RUN!'' She was right , just ruining the moment. 

Trevor just sighed and rolled his eyes. ''Let's just go Kate.'' 

''Boring man.'' I whispered slowly.

''Heard it.'' 

''Let's just go.''

We were outside The Smith's mansion and it was huge. The exterior was really pretty with a huge lawn surrounding it and a lovely garden with so many beautiful red roses. But just roses and nothing else? Now that I think it's odd the entire town has alot of rose planted all over the place. Could be some tradition who knows? We rang the bell and some old man opened the door. 

''Yes?'' 

''We are here to meet Mrs Smith.''

''She is not in a state to meet anyone and you should have an appointment before coming.''

''Haha listen pal We are police , now open the door and call her down.'' I showed him my ID and then he finally opened the door. 

We waited in the living room for a while and the house looked as pretty as it looked from outside. A big clean living room which red sofas and a big chandelier hanging in the middle. Marble floor and a soft carpet placed right in the centre.  Then finally came the lady making her grand appearance along with her daughter. She didn't look that old which is odd because Tony Smith is somewhere around his 60's. 

''Are you here to ask me about Tony because if you are then you have to hurry. People are about to come in for the funeral'' She was wearing red lipstick and dressed in all black. Is this normal?  Do rich people have funerals like these? 

''We won't take much time. So let's get this straight up as we know that your husband was murdered.  Do you think he had any enemies?''

''Ofcourse he had enemies , one of the biggest business man in town and everyone knows once you do business you sure do have alot of enemies.'' That is such a vague and wasteful answer. Is this woman even sad about her husband's death or all of it was just a show? weird families we have to deal with.

''Do you remember anyone in particular?'' Trevor asked and he sounded annoyed. Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks this lady is annoying.

''Well he did get involved in some drug business with the underdogs of the town , they are very dangerous but he handled that issue long back. It could be them they are always after us.''

''Wow so he was a criminal too? no wonder he got shot.'' 

'' HEY MY DAD WAS NOT A CRIMINAL.'' why world why do we have to keep interrogating annoying rich families. 

'' Go to your room kid. You are not required until you are called.'' good thing Trevor spoke , I would've beaten up kids like this. She frowned a little and looked at her mother , her mother just actioned her to go to her room.

'' Do you have any more information or are you done?''

''I think that's about it although when he started his business back when we were not that successful , he started it in partnership with a really good friend of his and then some clash happened between them. They split up and never contacted eachother again. It's very sad because he was a really nice guy and now he is nowhere to be found.''

'' Interesting so who are we up against either some mafia drug gang or a business man. That narrows it down. What's the names again?''

'' Oh the underground guy that used to do dealing his name was Ronald Kinley and the other guy is Edward Carter. '' 

'' Alright thank you for that and yeah.. sorry for your loss. We will take our leave.'' 

We left the place and finally I could breath properly. The family gave a very off vibe but We did end up getting two names and it could work along side I would want to do a background check on this lady. 

'' Do me a favor and get some IT guy on our team because we seriously need it. I want background of Darla Smith. Her husband just died and apparently she did cry in the party but that was just yesterday. Now suddenly everything is fine? don't you find it weird?'' 

'' I will try to work on getting an IT guy. He could bring out the footage of the party hall. Trust me cyber security guys are good at this stuff.'' 

'' Yeah hurry on that. He could help us with giving us information about both of his ex acquaintances. Next I think is the Mendoza family.  Is it just my thought or all the rich families act weird and shady?''

'' They do get themselves involve in shady stuff and try their best to protect their reputation. It's a whole mess and if we try breaking down each and every core of the families it will take us forever to reach till the killer. We need to work fast but work smart. Analyze them and you will get few answers on your own.'' 

'' Oh damn I didn't know you had such deep thinking.'' 

'' I have experience and you are a fresher. It will take time but you will understand what I meant.''

'' Big words.''