chapter- 28

KATE:-

We were just about to enter when it started raining. We hurried and rang the bell. Someone finally answered the door and there we looked at the town's most famous Father. He was a man in his fifties, he didn't look that old but decent. 

''Come inside.'' He said with a really bright smile.  Keith and Steve went back from there and eventhough I wanted to ask few more things but for now this was enough. I just have to get done with this and then I will directly go to meet The Thompsons. 

His house was not that huge or great but big enough for someone who lives alone , infact very big but what can we say everyone is rich in this town. The wooden floors gave away a really classic look which didn't look bad in any way , it was polished really nicely.  We sat down in the living room and he offered us some tea to which we politely rejected. 

''Mr Mendoza gave me a heads up and I would be honored to become a part of your wedding .'' 

''Oh no.. I mean we haven't fixed a date yet so we really don't know when it will be.'' Which is true because of this case we totally forgot about discussing our wedding. I can't even focus on it properly first I need to get done with this.

''That's not an issue , whenever you are ready you can just call me.'' Trevor got a call and he went outside to attend it. I was left sitting there awkwardly and I had no idea how to start a conversation.

'' What a lovely weather, Do you like rainy season too Father?''

''It's such a blessed season it's like God is showering us with happiness. Specially for me because now even my garden will look great and blooming in no time , I think he saw my struggles and heard my prayer.'' His yard did look empty and I agree due to the rain the plantation will speed up. 

''You don't like gardening?''

'' I do it is beautiful , flora and fauna are part of one of the most beautiful creations of God , I appreciate it alot.'' 

'' Then why isn't your garden done till now?''

'' I don't get enough time usually I am busy in church and I am barely at home.'' I have no idea how their lifestyles are but if it suits him then great. 

Few moments later Trevor came back in and he just said we need to go to which The priest did say to settle down for a while because it was raining heavily outside but Trevor declined , he was in a hurry and I agreed to him and we left. I asked him about what happened and he told me his conversation with John. It made so much sense to me now , alot of dots started connecting but still there were things which were missing. We were going to meet John and Rose in a while but I insisted on going to Thompsons house first and we would just get done with the interrogation part. He agreed and so we went. 

We rang the bell and Mrs Thompson was still unhappy about our unexpected arrival. After settling down and asking few questions I wondered where was Debbie. I asked the frowned lady and she said Debbie was in her room, She called her out and there came a plane faced young girl. I told Trevor to continue asking the questions while I ask Debbie somethings outside. 

''Don't worry I am not interrogating you , just talk to me. Whenever I see you , you look really sad and gloomy do they assault you in any way? It's alright you can trust me.''

''Does mental torture counts as an assault?''

'' It does.. what do they do to you?''

''To begin with they don't treat me as their own , they would want me dead and they really don't care about me at all.''

''I do understand you but unfortunately there isn't much I can do about it.'' I was very sad upon hearing her situation but she looked very eager.

''That's fine... I just want to ask did you find Molly? Is she okay?'' I don't have the answer to this question, I didn't want to give her a news that would just disappoint her further , for some reason I just want to see this girl smile. I feel like there is some connection between us.

''We are still working on that...you know I can't relate much to your situation but even I have a family in ways I am grateful to them but I meet them very rare so that bond you need from your parents growing up I never really got that and even I have an elder sister but she is still sick and most of the times my parents are with her. It is painful and i don't want to be selfish but at times I wish they were with me too.'' Wow where did all that come from , I have rarely spoken about this to even Trevor and out of nowhere I am telling all of this to a kid? 

There was a sympathetic look in her eyes , she didn't want to pity me and that is all that I want from anyone. 

''I know how it feels like wanting a family around... I miss them so much.. that entire blast.. and now I will sound ungrateful for saying I don't want to live here. Children out there.. Children like my sister they didn't even have a home and had to live in those bad orphanages yet I have a chance to live in a good home but I don't want to.'' She started tearing up and my emotions got the better of me , I hugged her.

'' It's not how the house is , it's all about the people who make it feel like home... come on let's get you a new home and an actual one this time.''

''I can't keep moving from places to places and live with foster parents, I don't want to be a burden on people.''

'' Trust me this will be your permanent home.''

''What do you mean?''  she looked up at me and I smiled.

''That means you are going to live with us.'' She paused for a moment and then she hugged me back so tightly, I couldn't help but there came the waterworks. I wiped her tears and she smiled, for the first time I saw her smile and it was beautiful.

''Are you sure? I don't want to be a burden-''

''Shush you talk too much... just like me.'' We both laughed and I took her inside and told her to give me sometime. I had to get done with this case soon and then I would finally adopt her. I was excited to tell Trevor about this and when we came out I did tell him.

''What? Are you crazy?? We aren't even married yet and you want to adopt a kid already??'' That was not a reaction I was expecting I thought he would be happy but it was the complete opposite of that. He got mad and strolled off before I could even say anything.