Kiku no Hana

CHAPTER THREE
____________
–•–

THERE WAS A FLOWER VASE, sitting by the door

THERE WAS A FLOWER VASE, sitting by the door. It was a simple thing, pastel blue with specs of gold, but inside was a single Hezā flower. It was drinking in the sun from next to the window seal, looking as healthy as when Anomie had first picked it. She closed the sliding door behind her, walking to the flower, a simple thing that meant nothing, suddenly filling her with an indescribable emotion. She stroked the petals, watching them cling to the light. They were soft, the sort of flower that would stay in her memory.

      "Do you like it?" Rin asked from behind her, causing Anomie to slightly jump. "I bought a vase for it. I figured it would shine protection better if it stayed alive." There was a warmth that Anomie didn't understand at Rin's voice, but it spread over her body.

      Anomie opened her lips to reply, but when she looked at Rin's apron, covered in charcoal black marks she closed her mouth and stared. Rin looked down and sheepishly grinned.

      "I tried to cook," was all the girl had to say before Anomie's lip twitch upwards for an instant before going back to a deadpan. "Do you think my failures are amusing?"

      Anomie raised a single brow and walked into the kitchen, noticing Rin bite her lip as she did, looking like she wanted to say something before Anomie's next step. The moment she saw the scene of burn marks covering the ground and decorating the wood cabinets her eyes widened. There were puddles of water, with scraps of oil and what looked to be soy sauce scattered over the tiles.

      Anomie slowly pressed her palm over her mouth, and Rin saw the girl's shoulders begin to shake. Anomie was at a loss, blown away and even surprised. So few things did that. She had been so empty for so long, that all of this was overwhelming.

      "Hey, An-chan, are you alright?" Rin asked, but the sound of sudden laughter escaped the once stoic girl before it erupted into sweet innocent giggles that echoed across the house. It was such a sweet laugh, that Rin couldn't help but smile along, but her embarrassment was still obvious on her cheeks.

      "How about," Anomie said in between giggles, "I do the cooking." Anomie wished she understood, but even as she met Rin's gaze, even as she took her hand, nothing felt real. It was the sensation of relaxing after years of clenching her muscles. She wasn't to fall over and never move.

      "It's not funny," Rin said as she playfully pushed the girl's shoulder. Anomie's face turned hilariously stoic once again, as if she had never laughed. Anomie followed the motions, doing and acting how she wished. If only she knew who the hell she was.

      "Of course not."

      "You're making fun of me," Rin said with a frown. Anomie blinked.

      "I would never." Especially considering I was going to be the one to clean this up, judging by her lack of sense.

      "You are," Rin said with a frown as Anomie's deadpan suddenly broke in one unconfined laugh before the girl put her hand over her lips. When she removed it, the white haired girl's expression was blank again.

Chasing SmokeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara