Gāberadeijī

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
____________
–•–

       WHEN SHE WAS A GIRL, SHE MET A BEAUTIFUL DANCER BY THE NAME OF SHIEMI who spoke of a time when she fell in love with a lowly blacksmith without a penny to his name

WHEN SHE WAS A GIRL, SHE MET A BEAUTIFUL DANCER BY THE NAME OF SHIEMI who spoke of a time when she fell in love with a lowly blacksmith without a penny to his name. They were to be married in the spring, but come winter, his funds got low and men came in the night to collect her as repayment for his loans. Love was as fickle as trust, and both would come tumbling down at the first sign of trouble. That being said, Anomie had plenty cause to be cautious of doing either.

"Why are you here?" Minami stood, smoothing her Kimono and tightening the wrapping that tied in a bow around her waist. The tie looked as straight as ever from the front.

      "Refuge," Anomie cut straight to the point, deciding against being coy as Minami always had a tendency to beat the coyness out of her.

      "You seek refuge from me?" Minami's lips curled into an ugly smile that reminded Anomie of the dream she once had of burning this place to the ground.

      "We are the same." At this point, it was only pride that kept her standing. "Oiran look after each other. I was told that once."

       Minami's lips curled into a smirk, "by what? A greeting card?"

      "By a much prettier Tayū than you. Younger too," Anomie retorted with a sneer as she watched through hooded lids as Minami took a step closer.

      "I see. You're trying to taunt me?" Minami let out a hollow laugh, her voice rumbling against her chest. "What good could helping you bring me?"

      Anomie's lips twitched in a display of amusement. In mere moments, she was in front of the Tayū with her fingers pressed tightly against the woman's throat. "I am weakened and exhausted, but I could still snap you in half like a twig."

      Minami's lips curled up as she dragged her fingers over the palm that squeezed her neck. "You're trying to frighten a whore? Who do you think you're talking to? Is it Tuesday already, because these consistent threats all just run together."

      Anomie shook her head with a smile as she leaned in closer to the woman's lips. "They can only kill you, Mimi. Don't forget," Anomie dragged her lips near the woman's ear. "I can destroy you."

      Minami's heart didn't skip or slow, and the woman merely laughed, causing Anomie to let her throat free.

      "I don't like you, Kiyomi," Minami commented with a bitter and wry smile. "But I'll be damned if I said I didn't respect you. A whore going from the bed in the slums to a bed of a criminal."

      Anomie scoffed at the notion of her every allowing Orochimaru bed her. The man would sooner fuck a snake.

      "It did sound like a greeting card when you said it out loud," Minami shoved past her, knocking her shoulder against Anomie's in a merciless shove that would have once likely caused Anomie to fall backwards. Pride was all that kept her going at this moment. "But you're right. My loyalty is here, in this house. You could burn this village to the ground and we'll be paid to fuck its ashes."