Shiro no Hyashinsu

CHAPTER NINE
____________
–•–

      THE SKY WAS GREY AND THE NIGHTS WERE LONG WITH FOG COVERING THE MOON like a thick smog that she couldn't see past

THE SKY WAS GREY AND THE NIGHTS WERE LONG WITH FOG COVERING THE MOON like a thick smog that she couldn't see past. She would stare at it in hopes that the night would end or she could just black out from the lack of activity. Still, not long passed until Anomie's short rest ended and she ended up showing up to Anbu headcounters and went straight for her locker, making no hesitation to begin getting dressed in as little of the uniform as possible. Her arms were fitted with long, plated gloves that stopped just below the Anbu tattoo. She thought about wrapping a bandage around her upper arms but slowly decided on just one.

She wasted no time to put on a skintight black suit with a grey flack jacket over it. By the time someone actually walked in, she had already slipped on her strapped boots that went past her knees. Her eyes slightly widened for a split second as she stared at Kakashi who came in, basket in hand with the Anbu uniform and mask on top.

She thought back to the moment where he saw her cry, and she glanced down, strapping her boots as she tried to ignore the surge of humiliation that rushed through her with no reprieve. She was not one to cry in front of herself, let alone anyone else.

For the first time, she began to hate the coed locker room.

She glanced back up towards his basket, seeing a mask that was of a dog and she found herself slightly smiling, finding that it oddly enough fit him. She wasn't sure why it fit him, but something about him began to remind her of a puppy. He was a slightly stupid puppy, but a puppy nonetheless.

"What are you smirking at?" Kakashi asked as he glanced at the girl from the corner of his eyes. She shrugged, her expression dying out.

Kakashi was also slightly humiliated to have been caught in a weak position just two days prior, and was glad that the girl had just as much pride so as to not bring it up. He was slightly surprised to see she had been in Anbu, as his mind flashed back to the broken and injured girl of two years ago, who had no training and no fighting ability.

Now, he could practically feel her Chakra like that of a beacon, echoing all around her. He supposed he couldn't be too surprised, considering he never actually knew much about her other than she lived with Rin, bought him porn, and was a bit of a bitch.

"Are you the one on team Ro?" she asked, breaking him out of his curious thoughts about porn.

"Hm," he agreed simply, and he read in between the lines that she would be on said team, but he didn't say anything about it.

"I'm Koneko," she introduced, putting on her mask that was, of course, a cat. Her codename might have once made him laugh, but his lips didn't so much as twitch.

"Koinu," he stated with a frown and he saw her hold onto her mask as she tilted her head to the side.

"Saru give you the name?" she asked, her voice calm with just a hint of amusement. He nodded, watching as she shook her head and strapped the porcelain mask onto her face. "I think it's because we're so young."