Ki no Kānēshon

CHAPTER FORTY
____________
–•–

      WHEN ANOMIE WAS YOUNG, HER FAVORITE SEASON HAD BEEN SPRING FOR EVEN after the harshest winter that matched the white of her hair, spring would never fail to bring its bloom

      WHEN ANOMIE WAS YOUNG, HER FAVORITE SEASON HAD BEEN SPRING FOR EVEN after the harshest winter that matched the white of her hair, spring would never fail to bring its bloom. Kemuri springs were beautiful, summers were short, winters were long, and her mother had died in the autumn. Now, autumn left a poor taste in her heart. This fall, the trees were dipped in color on the evening of November. The leaves were a brilliant hue of browns and golds and reds. The ground was covered in the dead makeshift blanket of leaves, nuzzling and slightly tucked into the dirt. Even the usual summer heat was replaced by the brilliant winds that brushed through Anomie's bangs.

      It was a rather peculiar thought on that Autumn morning, weeks after her last moments with Kakashi. Peculiar in that he wasn't in her waking thoughts or taking up every cusp of her mind. It was loathsome how often his face used to do that. Perhaps she was finally headed toward some direction of peace when it came to his name whispering against her lips. Perhaps she was thankful that their last moments were a pleasing few. She got to apologize and then feel the way his fingers would brush up her arm throughout the night.

       Perhaps she was happy to know that after a couple of hours of pleasing conversation throughout the night, he was still the same man she remembered. They had talked for hours, and yet it felt as if nothing was said. She just enjoyed laying next to him by fire, roaring behind her and watching his lips move. She wasn't even hurt to see he had woken an hour before her, only to abandon her in the forest with only a letter. All of that was pleasant and it awoke a yearning to see him once more.

Although, she doubted another encounter would be as pleasant as their last one. No, the next one will bloody, looking into his eyes from across enemy lines. That is the path I've chosen.

The future was so uncertain, or maybe she was the uncertain. All of that didn't really matter, and yet nothing mattered more. Even if she was to be a strong woman, and try and back out from the Akatsuki's clutches, from Orochimaru's clutches, Konoha still would never take her back. Even if she wished it with all her being, that would not create a partition for her to walk through and make a home for herself.

       And is that what I really want? Anomie didn't really know. She had made so few of her own choices in the entirety of her life that doing so now was as scary as battle. 

Anomie brushed her fingers against the bark, her lips curled up as she felt her Chakra merge in with the wood. Her brain didn't know the technique, but when she placed her hand against the tree and felt her Chakra seeping into the bark, it seemed as if her body remembered it for her.

She always had a talent, perhaps innate, for Ninjutsu. In battle it made up for the fact that her Taijutsu was adequate at best, her Genjutsu abilities were below average, and her medical prowess was garbage. Ninjutsu was often her saving grace. She picked them up as one might a flower, and it allowed her to catch up to her peers who had trained all their lives to do what she learned in a year. They said it was because she had the right mentors, saying the strength that she had was due to them. As if I didn't work every minute of every day to carve a place for myself in Anbu