Panjī

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
____________
–•–

      WHEN ANOMIE HAD BEEN SIX, SHE SAW HER FIRST FIRE BE LIT WITH THAT OF A powerful Jutsu

      WHEN ANOMIE HAD BEEN SIX, SHE SAW HER FIRST FIRE BE LIT WITH THAT OF A powerful Jutsu. She sat by those flames, watching them eat the kindling and the wood until each aspect of that fire turned into ash. She knew, even back then, that she loved the look and feel of it. Fire and heat. It lit a passion in her heart when she opened her eyes. Maybe she just loved the color of red. The flares trickled past her fingers and seared her skin a slight sheen of red. Sage mode wasn't easy to keep up, and if Mangetsu wasn't such a condescending piece of shit, he might have actually managed to stop it from full fruition.

       If not for the red tint of feathers that covered her skin like scales, perhaps this might have been difficult. Her new power was overflowing and raw, and mostly that was what hurt her. The Chakra flooding her veins and the harrowing press of its power was too intense.

       "You can only keep it up for five minutes with your current power level."

      The great bird had told her so, and now that she felt it, she knew her life would be in danger if she tried to withstand it any longer. She glanced towards Kakashi, who had taken a step forward. "It's okay." She assured him, taking a step forward. However, she wasn't used to her speed and before she could control it, she had appeared in front of Mangetsu who struck her with his blade. She tilted her head, wondering if he was always so slow and with that thought, she caught his blade. Her power was still in flux, so it began to grow red hot under her touch.

      Mangetsu jumped back, his anger palpable as Mikka went to attack her. Kakashi was too fast, and before she could, he had kicked her into the trees. "Anomie, what is that?"

       "What happens if I go over five minutes?"

      Anomie had asked the Great Fire Bird, and she could feel that what he told her had to be true. She felt it in her bones.

      "You will turn to stone."

       "Wonderful." Every power came with some type of cost. She knew that one day she would have to pay it, but that day could not be now. If she were to die, she would rather Kakashi were not here to see it. She wanted to be strong. She was so sick of needing to be protected and worrying him, running into his arms like some weak skank who was poisoned or bleeding.

       She couldn't fight next to him like that. She couldn't be weak and bleeding and she had to stop being so stupid.

       "I've got this," Anomie said, glancing towards Kakashi with a shake of her head. "You take the nobody."

        "Nobody?" Mikka let out a frown, showing that Anomie's words had frustrated her to no end. Anomie didn't particularly care.

      "Mikka," Mangetsu's voice was spoken in warning, and finally, Mikka took a hard look at the girl she so desperately wanted to kill.