Ningyō no Me

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
____________
–•–

       AS DIFFICULT AS IT WAS TO DEAL WITH THE CONSTANT BARAGE OF OF OBVIOUS disdain from the village that now condemned her, she was still unsure of what she felt

       AS DIFFICULT AS IT WAS TO DEAL WITH THE CONSTANT BARAGE OF OF OBVIOUS disdain from the village that now condemned her, she was still unsure of what she felt. Perhaps due to everyone always expecting something of her, she enjoyed her time with Orochimaru who seemed to only just see her potential while everyone else saw her guilt.  Anomie wasn't certain how much time had passed after Orochimaru left her in the training grounds, her arms bruised and battered as she stared into the distance. Oddly enough, he left her there unattended—without guard or watch.

In a way, it felt like an action of utmost trust that slightly warmed her heart in a way she found unexpected.

In that moment, her mind fell in silence and she decided she would live for him. She would kill for him. She would do whatever he asked.

In that moment—pure as day—she decided that her loyalty would be to Orochimaru and Orochimaru only.

After all, like called to like. As Orochimaru said before leaving, "I see so much of myself in you. The loneliness, the anger, but most of all, the hunger for more. No difference, you and I. Bound together by the blood we've shed."

      She had stared at him, waiting for more, as if he ever gave her but the bare minimum. He was right about much, but none more than this.

       She was hungry. She craved and wanted everything, and nothing seemed to satisfy the pang in her gut. No difference, you and I? Anomie thought, with some level of disdain as she sat in the grass, her muscles sore and aching. With how hard she trained, trying to catch up to the people, Shinobi, who had their entire privileged life to do what they wanted, she was always sore. She always ached.

       No difference, she thought again, staring at where Orochimaru left with a note of longing. There was only darkness where he walked, but that darkness was familiar, and he opened a clear path to follow. She stood up, her muscles screaming at her to rest.

      And she followed him, into the dark.

●▬▬▬Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ▬▬▬●

"Haven't you grown restless under the rule of Hiruzen Sarutobi?" Danzo's approach had managed to surprise the stoic Kakashi, causing the boy to turn his gaze onto Danzo's figure. The man was bandaged and looked rather fragile to be so high in the council, but Kakashi knew better than to judge the man by appearances. "Hatake Kakashi, is that correct?"

It had been a while since Kakashi had visited Rin's grave, as guilt had festered him to keep a distance, so he was rather irritated to be interrupted. He knew not to let the irritation show, so he settled for glancing towards Danzo's oncoming figure.

"I do not understand the purpose of your question," Kakashi admitted, and Danzo's lips quirked into a sly smile.

"I want you to work under me...what do you say?" Danzo asked, and Kakashi's brows rose into his headband for a moment, but his expression stayed blank.