Mandorēku

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
____________
–•–

       ANOMIE HAD THOUGHT SHE WOULD NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING  WHEN THE first body spilled its guilt her way

       ANOMIE HAD THOUGHT SHE WOULD NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING  WHEN THE first body spilled its guilt her way. In that way, that was what made Orochimaru's request for her to be reassigned under his tutelage so important. So moving. No one questioned when a Sannin of his stature chose to watch over a suspected murderer, and she could sense people were relieved when she was assigned a mission out of Konoha's borders.

Orochimaru was actually insane, but he was also silent and had no taste for idle chitchat. She was grateful for the silence, as not many could handle a quiet journey through vast terrain.

Although, with no warnings, he would turn around and attack her.

That thought rushed through her head almost as violently as his Chakra surged in her body and his fist slammed into her stomach. She barely managed to turn her abdomen into smoke, but seconds later his Chakra disrupted her balance and sent her flying into a tree. She felt the bark shatter beneath her as leaves and branches fell on top of her head. She felt leaves rush into her mouth the moment she opened it to groan in pain.

"Well, that was disappointing," Orochimaru stated as he glanced towards her in such a bored manner that if not for the bruising on her lower back, she was certain to have thought he hadn't attacked.

She coughed up her lungs the moment she stood, using her hands to prop up her weakened form. The moment she gained composure, she glanced up at him. "I guess I have a long way to go."

"Don't fret just because you weren't at the advantage of being trained as young as most ninja were," Orochimaru took a step forward and he was in front of her as smoothly as if he glided there. "You have risen far from being nothing...from here on out, you can only rise."

"..." She had no words for her response. She had no words for the emotion that sprung through her body with such force that she was almost rocked backwards. He had an amazing ability to deliver criticism in such a way that she wanted to disappear. In counter to that, he was just as impressive in his ability to say something so easily that it was as if she were being seen for the first time.

His lips quirked into a smirk, "You avoided major injury on instinct only... That attack was set to kill and you escaped with little more than a bruise."

"Is it wise to train in the middle a mission?"

Orochimaru shrugged, brushing back a long black strand on his hair until it was behind his ear. "When is it better time?" His voice rasped out in such a way that Anomie had been given the imagery of a snake. "Be prepared for any surprise attack..."

Although his reasoning was feasible, Anomie had the sinking suspicion that her new partner just enjoyed kicking her body into the dirt.

"Considering the mission, I believe it wouldn't be wise to make so much noise," Anomie's words could be taken as a complaint, but there was no tone in her voice.