Pinku no Bara

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
____________
–•–

      IT WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT THAT ANOMIE AWOKE TO A DAGGER ABOUT to plung into the soft skin that created a barrier between danger and the vulnerable muscles and organs beneath

IT WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT THAT ANOMIE AWOKE TO A DAGGER ABOUT to plung into the soft skin that created a barrier between danger and the vulnerable muscles and organs beneath. Her hand shot out, thankful for Kakashi having released her bindings as her fingers wrapped around the sharp blade in so tight a motion that it was a wonder they weren't chopped off.

      Her own blood dripped down her wrist and she felt it splatter against her cheek, leaking over her ear. Her attacker wore traditional sound ninja gear and Anomie had no time to wonder how this ninja slipped past Kakashi's guard. Like a drop of oil, mixing with water, she felt this ninja's Chakra enter her coils before draining her natural energy.

      Swift realization swarmed her mind as she felt this imbalance mixed with the poison making it impossible to even breathe. Attempting to beat his strength sped up the poison that already doomed her life.

      The man on top of her had eyes like a bear and she tried to activate her curse mark before remembering this body had no such power. Instead, he activated his own. However, it made his eyes go crazy and his face, much like Kimimaro, had begun to turn grey.

      Just before he could end her life, he was away from her and Kakashi was in front, his eye filled with the spirals of the Sharingan. Kakashi's gaze darted over to the black veins that remained on Anomie's arms. He didn't speak of it and Anomie hoisted herself up, feeling the body she was in begin to give out.

      At this rate she wouldn't survive the week and yet Orochimaru was still sending men out to take her life. Even worse, he sent fucking Jūgo. Kakashi removed a shard of bone that was embedded in his shoulder with a grunt.

      Jūgo and Kimimaro?

      Anomie felt a moment of defeat. There really was no escaping Orochimaru.

      Kimimaro jumped out from the trees, his gaze darting to Anomie. "You think you can escape?"

      "Do you see me running?" Anomie stood up straight, even if it was difficult. "Kakashi, you can still leave. I made this bed. It is my fate to lay in it."

      "Can't do that," he said, as his hands darted forward and activated a swift Jutsu, despite Anomie's best wishes. Since when did Kakashi ever listen to her anyway, even if she tried to look out for his best interests.

      She attempted to stand, to maybe give herself up, but her legs collapsed from underneath her and her hands were covered in blood. Her fingers felt like they just might fall off and she couldn't breathe, let alone fight. She could only watch him attempt to fight both Jūgo and Kimimaro, one on two. She saw the years of practice in his taijutsu, and the only solace she could take was that Kimimaro was young and inexperienced.