9: Questions to prosecutions

After about twenty minutes of me sitting here alone and bored, Mr. Smith called me into his office. I take in a few shaky breaths, hopeful of the future outcome. I get up and decide to knock on his door, just to make sure I come off on his good side.

"Come in." His deep voice says. I open the door and close it. He motions for me to sit down on one of his chairs in front of his desk and I do.

Mr. Smith takes a moment before saying anything. He sits there staring at me with those hard green eyes, his dark eyebrows furrowed in inquisition.

"Your little stunt that you pulled off this morning was rather moronic. Even after I specifically told you not to mess anything up. And I did warn you that I'd fire you if you do such a thing." He blatantly says. My face becomes a crimson as I knew what the next words were going to be.

"But, despite those stupid mistakes that you've made during these past couple of days, I've reluctantly decided that I'm not going to fire you." He adds on. What? Am I hearing things, or did he just say he wasn't going to fire me?

"Thank you so much, sir." I breathe, relieved that I wasn't going to lose this job. That was a close call.

"But this doesn't mean that I'm giving you more chances to make mistakes. I hope that you've learned from them and won't pull them off again. Otherwise if you do, then I will definitely fire you on the spot." He warns. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my lips. It almost made me want to hug him for it. But I didn't.

"Thank you." I gleefully say. I don't care if I look like an idiot in front of him, I'm glad that I'm keeping this job.
Mr. Smith tightly nods his head as he grabs his stress ball and begins squeezing it. Why does he have it in his hands? Well that question is beyond me, I'm just happy for the moment. I get up, assuming that I'm dismissed, and walk over to the door and open it.

"Elizabeth?" He says. Whoops, maybe I should've waited until he said I was dismissed. Damn it, he gave me another shot and I'm already screwing it up.

"Yes sir?" I say, turning around.

"Schedule a dinner for two at McCormick's for seven." He orders. I nod my head and he dismisses me.

McCormick's is a very romantic restaurant, meaning he must be going on a date with someone. And for some reason, that brings a sick feeling to the pit of my stomach. I go back to my desk and reserve a table for two, and just couldn't help wondering who this girl he's going on a date with.

How serious is their relationship? How long have they been dating? Who is this woman? All of these questions keep roaming around in my head and are nagging at me like little flies.

My phone chirps, interrupting my thoughts about Mr. Smith and his mystery woman. I check my screen and it displays an unknown number. But just telling by the message, I knew it was Mr. Smith.

Mr. Smith: Did you reserve the table for two yet?

Me: Yes

Mr. Smith: Good.

Me: One question

Mr. Smith: It better not be a ridiculous question Ms. Ennis. I'm on a schedule here.

I just had to laugh at this, not because it's funny ha-ha, nor funny weird, but because it's a ridiculous statement itself. Mr. Smith thinks all questions waste his time. He expects you to learn and know in a blink of an eye. So I respond back to him.

Me: How'd you get my number?

I didn't even have to wait a minute for him to reply back because it hasn't even been twenty seconds and that man has already responded instantly.