54: Operation Smith

"Hi honey, what's up?"  My mom asks, picking up the phone after the first ring. 

"Mom, I need advice."  I sniff, trying not to make it obvious that I'm in tears. 

"What's wrong?  Are you crying?"  She worries. 

I shake my head as I wipe my nose with my sleeve.  "No, just seasonal allergies." 

"Oh..." she trails off, I think she knows that I'm lying to her, but she doesn't say anything more on that subject.  "What do you need advice on?" 

I blow out a sigh as stare at the empty parking garage with horrible fluorescent lighting. 

"What would you do if you were dating someone who also happen to have a sibling-but you didn't know they were related at first-and then you got involved with the sibling but were afraid to tell the other person about said sibling but then it all blew up in your face, hurting the two people?"  I ramble, allowing the words to just tumble out of my mouth. 

There was a long pause on my mom's end of the line.  I'm not sure if she's confused or just doesn't know what to say to that.  But the silence is freaking me out. 

"Mom?"  I check up. 

"Still here," she speaks, "but I'm not sure what you're getting at." 

I wipe my eyes, fully aware that I'm streaking my makeup on my face.  "Mom, I did something really horrible to two very important people." 

"Go on."  She urges. 

"So you remember Ian right?"  I start off. 

"Uhuh, what about him?" 

"Well while I was dating him, I hadn't realized that he had a brother...and well let's just say that his brother just happened to be my boss."  I begin explaining. 

"Wait, what?"  She interjects. 

I nod my head and tell her everything that happened and went down.  She doesn't interrupt me and just listens, which is what I really need right now.  Someone who isn't pissed off at me and who wouldn't interrupt my view of the story.  When I was done talking, my mom takes a moment to say something. 

"Have you apologized yet?"  She asks. 

I nod my head, "Yes, but both of them are still upset with me." 

"Okay, well here's what I would've done.  If I were you, I would've done something really meaningful to them to show that I am really sorry.  You know, because just saying 'you're sorry' are basic words.  You need an action to prove that you really are."  She advises. 

I perk myself up in my seat, intrigued by what she said.  "And how would I do that?" 

"I don't know honey, that's for you to find out.  I've never met these guys, so I don't know what's meaningful to them.  But you do."  She answers. 

I think about what she told me and couldn't help the small smile that crept along my face.  What my mom told me is a really great idea and I know it'll get me somewhere.  But the only issue is how I'll actually do it.  But at this moment, that doesn't matter because I at least got somewhere with this whole thing. 

"Thank you mom.  I needed that."  I say, plugging my car keys into the ignition and starting it up. 

"You're welcome, glad I could help.  Oh and hopefully you learnt from your mistake." 

I release a chuckle as I strap my seatbelt across my body.  "Oh trust me, I did." 

"Okay, glad to hear that.  Well I'm going out to dinner with Natalie and her boyfriend and Garrett."  She informs me.