50: Awkward Encounter

Rio was a nice business trip. Although we didn't really meet the companies Adam came here for. But it was still nice regardless. The last couple of days were relaxing as we explored more of the beautiful city. We hung out on Ipanema beach on one day and ate lunch at this French cuisine called L'Etoile Restaurante. And on our last full day, we went hiking at Tijuca Forest where there were amazing waterfalls, caves and greenery. After the hike, Adam took me on a rowboat on Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon. That was a very nice day. For dinner that night, he took me to a seafood and meat restaurant called Giuseppe Grill Leblon which had amazing food. And with many of my attempts to get Adam to sleep with me, he still refused to my dismay.

But now, we're on our flight back home. And I'm so anxious to see Ian that I haven't even realized that Adam is trying to talk to me.

"Hmm?" I mumble, turning my head to face him.

He sighs, "I said, Frank won't be able to take you home, so I'll do it myself."

I nod my head, "okay, yeah sure. Thanks."

During the flight, while Adam was content watching his movies and eating the provided food by the airline, I however was a nervous wreck.

I'm expected to break things off with Ian as soon as I get back home. But I still don't know how to do it. Should I just start off with I've been seeing his brother while we were together? Or should I just say that it isn't working and leave it at that? Or should I just tell him about his brother after I break up with him? I'm not sure. All of these seem good to me. I especially like the second option the most. Maybe I should go with that one. The less Ian knows, the better.

The plane lands, and surprisingly I'm awake for it. I guess stressing about Ian kept me up the whole flight.

Adam and I get off the plane and head straight towards baggage claim and grab our luggage. Since we don't have Vianna with us, this makes our process much faster since we don't have her and her five suitcases.

We exit the busy JFK airport and Adam's Maserati was waiting for us in the parking lot. Since we just came back from a warm place, this cold New York weather was a shock for me at first. I forgot that it's much colder here than it is in Brazil.

While Adam puts our luggage in the trunk, I get in the passenger side and pull my cardigan closer to my chest to try to warm up.

Adam hops in the driver's side and the first thing he does after starting the car is turn on the heat. He drives out of the congested parking lot and heads onto the busy main road.

"So did you enjoy yourself in Rio?" Adam asks to make up for the silence that's in between us.

I slowly nod my head as I watch the city in action during the afternoon. "Yeah. It was a great experience." I mumble.

"Good. Glad to hear that." He says as we stop at a red light.

Besides that little piece of conversation, the rest of the ride was quiet. While Adam seems happy and content as he's peacefully driving, I'm over here still stressing about Ian. Although I've decided about how I'm going to break the news to him, I'm still anxious for his reaction. I know he going to feel hurt and betrayed, but is he going to be able to forgive me, is the question.

Adam pulls onto my street and a few cars down, my heart pretty much stops beating. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, I'm pretty sure I see Ian's BMW parked behind my Mini.

Heart racing a mile per minute, I throw a quick side glance to Adam to look for his reaction, but he either doesn't notice his brother's car or he just thinks it's someone else's. Which may also be the case. Yeah, don't worry Elizabeth. It most likely belongs to one of your neighbors. And besides, it's New York City. A lot of people drive fancy cars. So I shouldn't be worrying. But a small part of me still thinks it's Ian's car. And that small part of me is what worries me most.