46: The Story of an Ex Boyfriend

As the sun was beginning to lower down on the horizon, I realized that we had spent the whole day on the beach.  Literally.  I look over to my right and find Adam fast asleep on his towel. 

He looks so content and happy, like there's nothing in the world that could ruin his peaceful state. 

I take this time to examine his body while he's unaware.  However my observation is limited since he's laying flat down on his stomach, his back facing up.  For a New Yorker, Adam is quite tanned.  I notice a small shower of freckles sprinkled along his shoulder blades which spread down to his spine.  He's just impossibly handsome.  I have to know what his parents look like to carry out such strong genes like him.  It's crazy and amazing at the same time. 

I check my phone for the time, it's six o'clock.  I glance back over at Adam, wondering if I should wake him or not.  But I probably should if he still wants to take me out.  I tap his shoulder a couple of times, calling out his name.

"Adam," I say, expecting him to wake up. 

When he doesn't, I nudge him with more force than I previously inflicted before, making him move slightly.

"Adam."  I try again. 

This time, he flutters his eyelids open, squinting at his surroundings.  His eyes roam around until they meet up with mine. 

"What do you want?"  He mumbles, rubbing his eyes with his hand. 

"It's six."  I inform, raising my eyebrows. 

He yawns as he sits up on his towel.  "So?" 

"So, I thought you wanted to take me out to dinner."  I explain with as much patience I could muster up. 

I watch his expression as he goes from to confused to realization in a matter of seconds.  "Shit.  I made reservations for seven earlier."  He grumbles as he scrambles up to his feet, hastily picking his towel up. 

I follow suit as I quickly grab my belongings as we make our way back to the house where we meet Alda in the kitchen. 

"You don't have to cook tonight, Alda.  I'm taking Elizabeth out to dinner."  Adam informs her as we pass through the kitchen. 

"Okay, Mr. Smith."  I hear her say as we make our way up the stairs. 

I dip into my room as Adam goes further down the hall to his.  I stand in panic, wondering what I should wear.  Elizabeth, you don't have time to think right now!  Just pick a fucking outfit!  I pick a black mini dress that Adam had bought for me when we went shopping.  It has a low V-neck line and practically exposes my whole backside.  I recall that it was one of his favorites, so I'll wear it for tonight's dinner which I expect to be fancy, knowing him. 
I quickly take a ten minute shower and get out.  I hurriedly put the dress on and style my hair into a low bun with a big braid laced on the side of my head.  I put on black stilettos and grab a black clutch purse.  I leave my room and head downstairs, finding Alda in the living room, dusting. 

"You look beautiful, Elizabeth."  She comments when she sees me, wearing a big smile. 

"Thank you."  I reply back, returning her smile. 

"If you don't mind me asking, what's the occasion?"  She inquires, putting her dusting on pause. 

I look at her and grin.  "It's my birthday." 

"Oh!  Happy birthday!  How old?" 

"Twenty-one."  I answer. 

Alda heaves out a sigh of content.  "So young.  So beautiful."  She continues to dust as soon as Adam appears.