16: Midnight Chat

I was in the middle of a dream when I heard my phone ringing and a knocking on my door. At first, it took me a moment to realize that my phone was ringing and someone was knocking at my door at the same time. Debating on which I should do first, I decide to pick my phone up. I didn't even get a chance to see who the person was before I accepted the call.

"Hello?" I groggily ask, getting up out of bed and walking over to the door.

"So you now pick up the phone." I heard a masculine voice say on the other end of the line. It took me a split second to figure out that I accidentally accepted his call.

"What do you want?" I mutter sourily.

"Open the door." He demands.

"Why? So you can just barge in like last time?" I snap. I heard him sigh in frustration on the other end of the line.

"Why are you being difficult right now?" He asks. I roll my eyes and check the time.

"Maybe because it's one a.m." I retort.

"Fine. If you won't let me in, then at least come out." He says. He doesn't even give me time to respond back since he ended the call. I hate it when people do that.

I debate if I should listen to him and go outside to see whatever the hell he wants at one in the morning. I probably should because it's too early to have another fight with him.

Reluctantly, I twist the doorknob, sighing, and open up the door. At first I didn't see Mr. Smith, but then I saw him leaning against his fancy car, arms crossed over his chest.

"What do you want?" I ask, from my doorstep. He looks up at me and makes his way back over. When he came into full view, this is my first time seeing him in a different attire besides his work clothes. He's wearing gray joggers with a white t-shirt. It's so weird seeing him without his business clothes on.

"I want you back." He says, looking at me with his emerald eyes.

"You want to tell me this now?" I scoff, "whatever happened to 'I can find someone to replace you in a blink of an eye'?"

"I said that because I was in the heat of the moment." He answers, defending himself.

"And?" I say, crossing my arms over my chest. I watch Mr. Smith look down at the ground for a moment, and then look back up to me.

"I refuse to hire anyone else as my personal secretary." He mumbles. This took me off guard. I wasn't expecting that to come out of his mouth.

"Why?" I couldn't help asking.

"Because you were good at your job." He answers. Again, took my by surprise. But something didn't add up.

"But I thought I made too many mistakes." I say, mocking what he said to me the other day. He sighs.

"You did make too many mistakes," he started, which caused me to roll my eyes in annoyance, "but unlike other people that worked for me, you learned from your mistakes." He says. I don't know what possessed him to actually give me compliments. Whatever happened to the rude and arrogant Mr. Smith?

"But why did you wait until now to tell me all this?" I ask, my irritation fading away.

"I tried to tell you the other day, but you shot me down." He explains. He actually meant that? Now I feel like a horrible person.

"I didn't know if you were telling the truth or not." I mumble.

"I was." He confirms.

"Oh." I whisper, not meeting him in his eyes. There was a moment of silence between us. I guess he was waiting for me to say more. But what else could I say?