47: The Moon and Stars

After Rico drops us off back at the house, Adam says he has a surprise for me.

"Ooh, what is it?"  I ask as he leads me behind the house, walking through the beach.

He chuckles as we trek through the beach and enter a small forestry to the side.  "It wouldn't be a surprise if I tell you." 

I groan, "Aw cmon, you can tell me.  At least give me a hint." 

He shakes his head as we head onto a small dark trail.  "Nope.  It will ruin the surprise."

I decide to give up on persisting since I know he's not going to crack.  I just follow Adam through the quiet woodsy area until we reach a destination.  It was very dark out, letting me get a nice view of the sky.  The stars continued to twinkle as much as they had when I arrived. 

Adam stops at a tall tree with a rope dangling at the bottom.  He turns around and looks at me with a huge grin plastered on his face. 

"Ready to go up?"  He asks, grabbing the rope with his hand. 

I size the rope m, seeing how far it is up the tree and then shake my head.  "I'm not climbing up that thing.  I have no upper body strength whatsoever." 

He laughs and shakes his head.  "No silly, we're not climbing.  See."  He pulls the rope and a small wooden box slowly makes its way down to us.  It's like a miniature elevator, but with a rope and some wooden planks. 

I give him a grin and nod my head.  "Yes, let's go." 

Adam helps me inside the box as he hops in behind me.  He grabs onto the rope and pulls us up all the way into the tree until we reached a platform. 

I got off the elevator and onto the platform, I was amazed.  Although there was a simplicity look up here, it was still beautiful.  There were wooden planks that acted as columns and had tree leaves and branches winding down around them.  There was a small little railing at the far end of the platform that acted as a balcony, giving you a view of the beach and if you look carefully, the city too. 

I immediately found myself walking over to the railing, feeling the warmth of the night's breeze fan across my face.  I gasped at the view and turn around to look at Adam who's watching me from the elevator box. 

"What is this place?"  I ask, in awe. 

"Do you like it?"  He questions as he walks over to me. 

"Like it?  I love it!"  I breathe.  I turn around to gaze at the amazing view again.  Now this is a nice hideout.  A place where you can actually escape from all the shit that goes on in the world. 

"When I was younger, my family and I would come here about every summer and when I was about twelve, I began building this.  Each year we came, I added on until we stopped coming."  He explains, leaning over the railing, still watching me. 

"Why'd you guys stop coming?"  I ask. 

He shrugs, "I guess we got too old.  As soon as Vince graduated high school and moved onto college, my parents decided that we don't need to go here every year anymore." 

"And you guys still have this house?" 

He nods his head.  "Yeah, my parents bought it during their honeymoon and expected to live here.  But when my dad got a really great job offer in New York, they flew back to the states to live in the city.  But my mom doesn't want to let the house go because she still thinks we have a use for it." 

I nod my head.  "Oh, well it is being put to use." 

He chuckles, "Yes, it is." 

"That reminds me, how come we're not in the hotel that you had me book and not using the rental car I reserved as well?"  I ask. 

"Because Vianna came along on the trip.  All the rooms in the hotel were booked, meaning that she wouldn't have anywhere to stay.  And the car, well I just didn't like your choice."  He explains. 

"I thought my choice was great!"  I gasp, swatting him in the arm. 

"This is coming from someone who drives a red Mini Cooper."  He teases. 

I roll my eyes.  "I'm sorry we can't be all rich like you and own a Maserati." 

"Apology accepted."  He smirks. 

I roll my eyes and try not to smile, but I fail miserably. 

"Anyways, do you want to see the best part of this place?"  He asks, stepping away from the rail. 

I nod my head, eager on what else he has to show me.  "Yes, of course!" 

I watch him bring out a huge telescope and walk it over to me. 

"Before I got into business, I used to want to be an astronomer.  I loved to track stars and when the next meteor shower would be.  I would spend countless nights up here, just looking through this telescope."  He says, as he sets it down in front of me. 

I bend down and look through the scope, awed at what I'm seeing.  I see so much more than what I did before.  I saw the moon in clear definition, Mars, Venus, and Jupiter.  It was breathtaking. 

"This is...absolutely amazing, Adam.  Like really."  I breathe. 

"Yeah?" 

I nod my head, "Yes." 

"What do you think about this, then?"  He asks. 

"Hmm?"  I mumble as I stand up straighter and turn away from the telescope to see what he's talking about. 

Adam has a small square box resting in his palm.  My heart accelerates as blood rushes to my face. 

"What is it?"  I carefully ask, eyeing the black velvet box. 

"Open it."  He suggests, holding the box out to me. 

I slowly extend my hand, accepting the velvety square from his hand and carefully open it.  I'm not sure what to expect.  It could be anything. 

I gasp at what's inside.   It was a white gold bracelet with charms all around the band.  I notice that there was the moon, sun, all the planets and a couple of star charms.  It was gorgeous, but looked expensive. 

"Th-thank you.  Where'd you get this?"  I question, gingerly holding it up into the moonlight, watching the charms twinkle with each dangle. 

"Some jewelry shop in town.  During my business meeting today, I got Rico to pick it up for me so you wouldn't get suspicious."  He answers. 

"I love it.  But it's too much."  I say as I place it back in the box and try to hand it back to him. 

But he shakes his head as he pushes the box towards me.  "No, it's yours.  My gift to you." 

"Adam, I...I can't accept this.  I-" I began. 

"No.  I told you that I was going to give you everything.  And I stand by my word.  Accept it, Elizabeth.  I'll be able to sleep at night if you do."  He interjects. 

I think about it for a moment and decide that I should just accept it.  It is a nice bracelet after all and I love the little charms that are on it. 

"Thank you."  I whisper as I put it on my wrist. 

He smiles as he nods his head.  "You're welcome." 

We spent a couple more hours up here in the tree, looking at the stars and planets.  It was nice and peaceful.  I think this is by far my best birthday that I've ever had in my life.  All thanks to Adam who wants to give me everything, even though I try to stop him from doing so. 

He's just absolutely amazing. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Author's note: yay! Another chapter.  What'd you think of this one?  Yes I know it's a bit short, but hopefully you'll like the next chapter to come.  I find it hot how Adam built this thing all by himself while he was growing up.  Also the bracelet was a nice gesture and it had a lot of meaning behind it. 

1.) do you think Adam is amazing?

Love you all bunches.  To the 🌛 and back ❤️