Chapter Two // The Unexpected Conversation

I was crying silently in the lot, not sure what to do. I was appreciating the beauty of the sky, buy I was so terrified of my feelings. I didn't want to come to terms with them, I couldn't. If I told Johnny, I'd loose my best friend. If I didn't tell johnny, I'd live the rest of my life without telling him how I feel.

There was a slight breeze, and I could feel myself getting colder. I hugged myself, hoping it would warm me. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I started thinking again. I was wondering what Johnny would look like next to me when I woke up in the morning. Would he wake up before me, and look at me with love in his eyes until I woke up? Or would he sleep in, and hold me tightly, refusing to let go? I really wondered. I bet Johnny would be even prettier if we slept in the same bed instead of the floor of a dusty church. I wish, I really did.

Suddenly, my train of thoughts were broken when I saw someone standing in front of me. I looked up, uncrossing my arms. It was Two Bit.

"Hey Pony, what're you doing out here?" he questioned with a laugh. I loved Two Bit, he was a good buddy, and an even better distraction.

"Nothing man, just thinking. I'm really bored," I said, standing up.

Two Bit's grey eyes were looking at me, a twinkle in them. He also had a grin across his face, and his rusty colored hair was slicked back.

"Let's go back to your house. Maybe Soda or Dally is planning to do something fun," he suggested.

I took a minute to think, and nodded my head yes. I really needed a distraction from my thoughts of Johnny. We walked, laughing as we went about random things.

When we got to my house, we saw Dally drinking a beer on the couch, and Soda and Steve were arm wrestling.

"Hey Pony, Two Bit, where have you been?" asked Soda casually.

"We were in the lot," I replied. I watched Two Bit walk into the other room to grab a beer.

"I thought you only went to the lot with Johnny," stated Soda.

"Yeah, well, you thought wrong," I snapped back. I really didn't want to think about him right now.

"Whoa man, what's going on? Where's Johnny?" Dally chimed in.

I looked Dally in his cold eyes, and said "I don't know, I don't want to know, and I don't care."

Everyone turned their heads to look at me with their eyes wide. For the first time ever, this included Steve.

"Is there something wrong, Pony?" asked Sodapop. He got up, and put his arm around me.

I quickly threw his arm off of me, annoyed with everyone. I just wanted to take my mind off of Johnny, and they ept reminding me.

"Listen Pony, I don't know what the hell is wrong with you, but please, shut the hell up," said Steve in a firm tone.

For some reason, this calmed me down slightly.

"Alright, fine," I replied to him. I then proceeded to march to my bedroom, again. Maybe I'd sneak out or something to look at the stars.

I layed face down on the bed again, and I felt the tears well up in my eyes. I didn't know what to do anymore. Suddenly, I heard the door creak open.

"Ponyboy?" I heard a slight whisper to the voice.

It was Steve. I couldn't be more surprised.

I felt Steve sit down on the bed, and he touched my shoulder with one of his hands.

"We need to talk about something," he started.

I could hear seriousness and a bit of concern in his voice. I sat up, worried about what he was going to say. I was a bit scared, since he usually would ignore me.

"What do you want, Steve?" I asked, a bit annoyed by the interruption.

"I noticed something," he stated.

"And what would that be?" I replied. This was strange.

"Back in the living room, when you were getting mad, I noticed there was only one thing that really got you going. It was when Sodapop brought up Johnny, and then when Dally continued," he said.

My eyebrows shot up slightly, "Oh."

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Nothing, it's something else," I mumbled.

"What is it? Maybe I can help," he stated with a soft voice.

My head was spinning. I knew Steve didn't really like me. What if he told everybody? But what if he was serious? I wasn't sure what to do anymore. I figured I had nothing to loose.

"What's it like being in love with Evie?" I asked. I could tell that the question caught him off guard by the look on his face.

He sat in silence for a few moments, before he finally answered. "To be honest with you, I'm not in love with Evie, and I never was."

I was a bit shocked by the answer, and I wasn't sure what to say back.

"Then why are you with her?" I asked.

"Truthfully, I was in love with someone. But I knew it was never going to happen, so I found someone else to distract me," he said, his voice on the verge of breaking.

I wasn't sure what to say, as Steve suddenly gave me a hug.

"Steve, I think I'm in love with someone. I love this person, but I don't think they'll ever love me back," I whispered in his ear.

Steve slowly pulled away, and looked me in the eyes.

"I know, I know. I know more than you think. Just come to me if you need help getting over them, okay?" he said, giving a slight smile.

I nodded my head, and sort of shooed him off with my hand. He got the message, and closed the door behind him lightly. I sighed after he left, feeling a bit better at the situation that had happened.

Maybe Steve wasn't so bad after all, maybe he was just hurt. Maybe he was like me, and he found a way to cope, being mean.

I decided to go sit at my desk again, and add another entry to my journal.

-

Dear Journal,

I snapped at Soda, Dally, Two Bit, and Steve today. I know this is my second entry of the day, but I felt like what just happened is important. The boys were questioning me, and I got really frustrated, so I went to my room. Guess who came in, and tried to make me feel better? Steve. I found it unbelievable, honestly. He told me that he wasn't in love with Evie, but what actually in love with someone else. She was just a mere distraction. I felt like I actually understood him on a personal level for once.

I don't know, I'm a bit scared, but at the same time I feel like I can talk to him. I don't know, I'll write again when something happens.

Ponyboy Curtis

-

I went back to laying on the bed, not expecting what would happen tomorrow.