Chapter Seven // Wrapped Around Me

Steve had eventually left my room, but I couldn't stop thinking about him. Why did he hold my hand? I had so many questions, but no answers.

I got up from the bed, and decided that it would be a good idea to actually do something. I looked at the clock on Soda and I's desk, and noticed that it was three o'clock in the afternoon. I still had plenty of time to do things today, which I was grateful for.

I decided to properly get dressed, since I didn't this morning. I felt like shit, and I probably looked worse than usual. An idea striked.

I overheard some girls talking at school the other day. They were talking about how to get a boy to notice you. One of the things that they said was "dress nice to impress him."

I immediately grabbed my best pair of blue jeans, and a clean, tight fitting shirt that was black. I knew that I looked more put together now, without any of my baggy clothes.

I walked over to the small dresser in the corner of the room, and picked up the cologne that was on it. I sprayed some on my wrists, making sure that I felt good.

I was going to try and impress Johnny, and no one was going to stop me.

I quickly hurried out of my room, ready to see everyone's reaction. I knew that Darry and Steve cleaned my lip up good, because I felt no pain.

I didn't walk into the living room, but I heard whispering. This was the second time today, but I knew that it wasn't a good sign.

"Man, what the hell is wrong with Pony? He practically freaked out when Johnny touched him!" exclaimed Dally. This time, everyone was talking in English. It must have been a group discussion.

"Yeah, he seemed alright yesterday. What the hell happened?" asked Sodapop. He clearly didn't know anything, which meant that Steve and Darry kept their secret.

"Honestly, we don't know either. We know that some stuff has been happening with Ponyboy, but we don't know what," stated Darry. His voice was firm and tough sounding.

"Where is Johnny, anyways?" questioned Two Bit. I was surprised that he was in this conversation. Usually he was too drunk to do anything but giggle.

"I dropped him off at the Dingo. I think he's meeting Angela, the Sheppard sister," replied Dally. I was annoyed now.

"Her? He's dating the Sheppard girl?" asked Steve in disbelief. He never liked the Sheppard's. He thought that they were real hoods.

"Hey!" yelled Darry. "This conversation isn't about Johnny's love life, understand? It's about Ponyboy!"

"Well, what do we gotta do?" asked Soda. I was dreading the answer.

"We got to get Pony to talk to Johnny, and get Johnny to apologize," replied Steve.

That was when I walked into the living room.

-

The day went fairly normal for the most part. Everyone was keeping a close eye on me, careful not to make me mad or cry. Currently, I was sitting on the couch with Steve. I was playing with his black hair. It was really soft and shiny.

Two Bit was eating on the floor, watching Mickey. I really liked how childish he acted. It made me understand him in a weird type of way.

I heard laughing from the kitchen, and I assumed that it was Dally and Darry. I decided that it was a good idea to make sure, just in case.

I walked into the messy kitchen, and flour was everywhere. On top of that, Dally was holding Darry like a baby.

"What in the actual fuck?" I asked. I was beyond confused at the scene in front of me, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Dally put Darry down. They were completely white and powdery looking. It was the best sight I had ever saw. Suddenly, I got an evil idea.

"Two Bit, get your ass over here now!" I screamed. I heard him running into the kitchen.

When Two Bit saw the scene, he began to laugh so hard that he was on the floor, and I could have sworn that beer came out of his nose. Everyone was laughing, everyone was having a good time.

I felt like I was going to cry because I hadn't laughed so hard since Johnny was around. But, for right now, he wasn't.

There was nothing I could do to change to that.

-

A little while later, Johnny came back. I didn't say anything as he sat next to Steve and I on the couch. Steve had his arm around me.

"Hey, I'm gonna go outside for a bit," I said, announcing it to everyone. Everyone nodded, excepting the fact that I go outside so much.

I grabbed one of Soda's flannels, and put it on top of my black shirt. I still looked good, no matter what anyone said. My clothes were nice.

I could swear that Johnny was staring at me while I walked, but I didn't pay him any attention. He had Angela now. If he wanted something, he could always go to her.

I felt the brisk air on my face as I stepped outside. It was dark, and there were billions of stars in the sky. I walked straight to the lot, knowing that I'd get the best view there. It was always pretty.

I sat down, and looked up. In front of me, there were glimmering stars, all apart of an amazing nebula. The air was crisp, and I felt alright. I began to cuddle into the flannel.

I felt a pair of arms around me. They were hugging me lightly, almost like they were scared that they were going to squeeze me to death. Eventually, they let go, and sat down next to me.

"Ponyboy," said the gentle voice. It was Johnny. He sounded soft and beautiful, almost like he was an angel.

I didn't say anything, but I looked away. He forced me to look at him.

"Listen Pony, I'm sorry for anything I may have done. I may have been neglecting you a bit. You're my best friend, and I'll always be here for you," he stated. I felt tears in my eyes.

I hugged Johnny, wrapping my arms around him. He was strong yet soft, small yet big, and everything that I had ever wanted.

I Love Him.