Chapter Fourteen // Welcome Home

I woke up with a pounding in my head, and everything hurting. I looked around, realizing that I was in my bed.

What the hell happened? I asked myself.

I tried to remember, but I currently remembered nothing. I decided that it was time to get up, and see where everyone was.

I took the covers off of myself slowly, instantly feeling cold. I got up, but it was painful. I took a few steps, and I felt like I was being shot in the head repeatedly.

I looked in the mirror in my room. My hair was an absolute disaster, my skin looked dull, and my eyes looked dead. I took a deep breath.

I looked down at my clothes, and realized that they were baggy and dirty. They probably smelled, too.

I walked over to my closet, and picked out some comfortable clothes. I was in too much pain to dress nicely.

I quickly stripped, and changed my clothes.

-

I stumbled down the stairs slowly, feeling pain as I walked. Usually, I would bounce cheerily down them, but today I limped, holding on to the railing.

I walked into the living room, probably looking like hell.

I looked around, and saw Two Bit passed out on the couch, with Dally and Darry sitting in the chairs next to him. They were quietly talking.

Darry and Dally must have sensed my presence, because they looked in my direction. Darry stood up and walked over to me.

"Ponyboy," he whispered hugging me. I was confused.

"What's going on?" I asked, confused. Dally sighed from behind us. Darry let me go.

"Do you want to tell him, or should I?" asked Darry. Dally stopped to think for a moment.

"I'll tell him," he stated. Dally looked exhausted.

"What's going on?" I asked again. I got no clues from their tones of voices.

"Sit down," demanded Darry. I sat down, trying to avoid Two Bit.

"Yesterday, Two Bit took you to a party. I ended up going a bit later, unaware that you guys were going too. When I got there, you were super drunk and you wouldn't stop drinking. I think you even made out with someone in the corner. I left to go find Two Bit, but when I came back, you were passed out on the floor. I picked you up, and drove you home," stated Dal. Darry shook his head. He must have heard the story already.

"What were you thinking, Ponyboy?" asked Darry.

I must have had my ninth drink, because I was completely wasted. Everything was a blur, and I kept falling over.

I felt someone grab me by the collar of the shirt.

She was beautiful. She had black hair, but I couldn't remember what her face looked like. She was like a mysterious stranger.

"I'll show you a good time," she said.

I felt her lips press up against mine.

I didn't stop her.

We continued to kiss to the rhythm of the music, pressing ourselves closer together like there was no tomorrow.

"I'm so sorry," I mumbled. Both Dally and Darry looked at me.

"You should've known better Ponyboy," stated Darry. I nodded.

"Yeah, man. Even I don't drink that much!" exclaimed Dal. Darry smacked his arm.

-

I was up in my room when Two Bit finally woke up. I could hear Dal and Darry yelling at him from downstairs. I don't think Two Bit knew what happened either. Then again, he was always drunk or hungover.

I sat at my desk, trying to think about the girl who I was kissing last night. She felt so familiar, but I had no ideas on who she might be. All I knew was that she had black hair, a sultry voice, and was a good kisser.

I almost felt bad for kissing her.

Almost.

-

I was napping, when I was shook awake. I looked up, and saw Steve at my bedside.

"Steve? What's up?" I asked, yawning. I thought he would be at the hospital.

Steve sat down on the edge of my bed.

"Sodapop is coming home today. They fixed him up real good," he stated. I winced. Steve grabbed my hand.

"What am I supposed to do?" I questioned. Steve thought for a moment.

"Just wait till he confronts you, I guess," he replied. I nodded.

Steve engulfed me in a huge hug.

"Did you just come from the hospital?" I questioned him. Steve nodded.

"Johnny hasn't really spoken since you left. He apparently said two words to Angela, and then kicked her out. He's been refusing to talk to any of us," he stated.

I looked down.

"Do you know if he said he loved her?" I asked, trying to suppress my sadness.

"I don't think so, Pony," he said.

I let out a sigh of relief, and then a sob.

I prayed to God that Johnny was okay.

-

I was sitting on the bed reading a book, when the door flew open.

There stood Sodapop, his nose and eyes purple and blue. They weren't as bad as before, but they weren't completely healed either.

"I want you to move out of my room," he growled. I rolled my eyes.

"Nice face," I replied. Sodapop turned bright red.

"My face would have been fine if it wasn't for your boy toy," he yelled. I felt angry, but I calmed myself.

"Your face would have been fine if you hadn't opened your mouth and accepted everything like the rest of the gang," I exclaimed. Sodapop let out a deep, heavy sigh.

Suddenly, Darry came into the room.

"I heard yelling. What's going on?" he said suspiciously. He looked at both of us.

"I don't want to share my room with a faggot," stated Sodapop. I glared at him, and so did Darry.

"Your brother is not a faggot!" yelled Darry. Sodapop winced. Darry never yelled at him unless it was serious.

"But-" started Sodapop.

"No but's, if's, or and's! He's your brother, and you're going to treat him like one!" yelled Darry.

Sodapop walked out of the room, and slammed the door.

Darry turned to face me, concern and exhaust on his face.

"I'm sorry, Ponyboy," he said.

I started to cry.

I didn't stop crying.

I couldn't.