Chapter Forty // Inside Thoughts

(A/N; This chapter takes place throughout the whole time that Ponyboy's in a coma. This is his emotions, and his internal struggle.)

Something felt wrong. Something felt really wrong.

I knew I was alive, but there was a problem.

I couldn't move or speak. It was like I was stuck, despite the fact that I wanted to do things. Nothing was working even though I wanted it to.

I thought about the events that had happened prior to this.

Firstly, I remembered getting shot somehow. My memory was blurry, but I remembered someone with black hair and blue eyes next to me. I remembered having some sort of strange connection to them, almost like it was romantic. I couldn't remember who shot me, though. Maybe it was him.

I remembered getting together with Johnny. He had written me a beautiful, heartfelt letter expressing his feelings to me.

I remembered saying yes to him asking me to be his boyfriend.

Next, I remember Sodapop coming into my room, apologizing for something that he had done. I couldn't exactly remember what, but I tried to put the pieces together.

Soda often said stuff about Johnny, and like he was begging for forgiveness somehow. I remember a discussion about a fight, and a discussion about who he loved.

Based on the evidence, I could infer that Soda had fought Johnny and I somehow, and was now apologizing. When I thought about who he loved, I couldn't remember who he was talking about.

It must have been Sandy. Soda has been head over heels with her since the sixth grade. They were like a match made in heaven.

Then, I remembered a doctor coming into my hospital room.

Soda was with me, and we were both crying. Obviously, we had gotten bad news. Since I got shot, I assumed it was about me.

Maybe something was wrong.

And then I remembered.

He told me that I might need internal bleeding, and that I would need surgery. I remembered where I was now.

Next, I remembered writing a letter to Johnny. I remember saying that I loved him, but I knew that I was going to die. I left my love in a letter for him. I thought that I was going to die, yet here I was. I was awake, yet I was asleep at the same time.

I was still in the hospital, except I was motionless. I tried to weigh what was happening by logic, when I realized something.

I was in a coma.

Then, my theory was confirmed.

"Darrel Curtis?" asked someone. I think it was a doctor.

"We have some good and bad news," began the doctor. I listened closely.

"What is it?" questioned Sodapop out of nowhere. He sounded scared.

"He's in a coma."

The doctor confirmed my thoughts.

I tried to scream, but not a single muscle in my body would move. I felt like I could feel my heart beat, and I could feel myself breathing. Nothing else was working, though.

I tried to listen hard, trying to figure out everything. I tried to concentrate as hard as I could.

I could hear a distant beating noise. It was like a life line. I assumed that it was my heartbeat. I also heard a bunch of other small noises that were electronic. Maybe they were for my vitals or my blood pressure.