Chapter Fifty // "-The Stars"

After Johnny and I had finished eating, we had continued to watch the sun set. Then, a question hit me.

"Where'd you get the food, Johnny?" I asked. He turned a bit red.

"Two Bit let me use his kitchen for the day. I cooked everything for us," he mumbled. I gasped in surprise.

"I didn't know that you could cook!" I exclaimed. Johnny looked away bashfully.

"Yeah, I can. I just wanted it to be a surprise. I hope you're not mad.." he said, trailing off. I shook my head.

"I could never be mad at this! Johnny, the food was amazing!" I stated. I took one of his hands and squeezed it.

I forgot that Johnny wasn't used to being praised all the time.

"I'm glad you liked it," he whispered in my ear. He began to kiss down my neck.

I giggled.

-

Later on, Johnny brought out a blanket from the back seat. It was getting colder as the minutes passed. Both of us didn't mind, though.

"I hope you're not too cold, my love," mumbled Johnny. He put his arm around me. I cuddled into him.

"I'll never be cold as long as you're around," I replied. He giggled. I loved his giggle. It reminded me that there was still good in the world.

Then, Johnny did something unbelievable. He began to sing.

"When I fall in love, it will be forever

Or I'll never fall in love
In a restless world like this is
Love is ended before it's begun
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

When I give my heart, it will be completely
Or I'll never give my heart
And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
Is when I fall in love with you

And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
Is when I fall in love with you."

I was in shock. His voice was like velvet. It was soft and smooth and quiet. I felt myself blush.

"Baby, where'd you learn that?" I asked. He grinned a bit.

"I heard it on the radio one day. It really meant a lot to me," he stated. I nodded my head.

"What does it mean, Johnny?" I questioned. He straightened up a little.

"It means that since I've fallen in love, it will be forever. I want our love to never end," he began. He gave me a soft kiss, and then motioned for me to look at the sky.

The moon was out. It was full and magnificent. Moonlight filled the whole field, lighting it in a way the sun never could. Along with the beautiful light came the stars, which were gleaming against their black "canvas." The stars spread far across the sky, like they were infinite. It was like they'd never end.

The silver lights in the sky were enticing. I felt my jaw drop a bit.

"-The Stars."

"There's still more, sweetheart," whispered Johnny. I turned to listen to him, facing him.

"Continue," I stated, wanting to hear his smooth voice. I would never get sick of listening to him.

"I want to give you moonlight kisses," he said, pausing, before kissing my lips again.

"I also want to give you my whole heart, all of it. If I didn't, no one else could ever have it. I'll forever fall in love with you," he finished, smiling a bit. I felt my cheeks turn pink.

"Gee Johnny, that was real sweet," I whispered. He gripped my hand.

"I always think of you every time I hear that song. Every lyric reminds me of you, of us," he stated.

"I love you, Johnny," I whispered. He brushed a piece of hair away from my face.

"I love you more," he replied. I shook my head. I knew that I loved him more than anything.

"You wish," I stated with a laugh. He then shook his head.

"When I first heard that song, all I could think about were my feelings for you. At that time, I was completely oblivious as to how you felt, so I thought you'd never love me back. So, I vowed to never truly give my heart away, unless it was to you," he exclaimed. I hid my face in my hands.

"That's so sweet," I whispered, flustered by his words.

I felt him let go of me. He began to move around. I looked up.

Johnny was on one knee.

"My love, I don't know how to say this, but I love you," he began. I felt myself gasp. What was going on?

"I know that we are young, but I'm certain about my love for you. I'm willing to make it work if you are. I just love you so much, more than the sunsets and the stars that we've seen today, baby," he continued.

"I knew it was meant to be since I first kissed you. I felt fireworks. I felt like everything made sense. You were and are the love of my life. I love everything about you. I love your green eyes and soft hair, and I love your pink lips. I love your body, and I love your mind. I love everything you have to offer," he stated. I saw him reach into his back pocket.

There was no way this was real.

Johnny pulled out a ring.

"Ponyboy Michael Curtis, will you marry me?"