Part Thirty Five // Beer Gone Flying

Johnny's POV

I was sitting on the couch, feeling pretty good about myself.

Things were starting to look up.

Ponyboy was my boyfriend, and Sodapop and I were fine again. Everything seemed significantly better already.

The whole gang besides Soda and Pony were currently in the living room. Everyone was doing something while talking to one another.

I was taken out of my thoughts when a beer bottle went flying across the room.

"..And that's how you throw a football!" exclaimed Two Bit. He was grinning like an idiot.

Beer came out of Steve's nose. He was doubling over in laughter.

"Awh man, look at this mess!" yelled Dally. I looked at him.

His hair was wet with beer.

I began to laugh at Dal's facial expression. He looked mad, amused, and confused.

"Ay man, it's not my fault you can't catch!" yelled Two Bit, throwing his hands up in the air.

Dally got up, giving him the eyes of the devil.

Two Bit gulped.

Dally took a dive for Two Bit, trying to attack him. He was chasing him around.

Darry and Steve continued to laugh.

"Motherfucker! You're a lazy ass, dirty ass bum!" screamed Dally. Two Bit giggled.

"At least I ain't a broke ass, ugly ass bum!" shrieked Two Bit. Dally jumped at him again, but missed.

Two Bit was too quick.

Eventually, Dally gave up. He was a good fighter, but he was terrible at running.

Dal was doubling over trying to catch his breathe, and he was laughing.

The phone began to ring, but none of us thought anything. Dally walked over, answering it.

"Hello?" he asked. No one was really paying attention to him.

"..Man, imagine if Dal got a hold of Two Bit!" stated Steve. We all laughed.

"...Okay," replied Dal.

"...Man, he'd be so screwed!" yelled Darry. He was really relaxed today.

Dally walked up behind Darry. His face looked blank.

"There's someone on the phone for you," he mumbled, looking down. Darry nodded, but got up.

He picked the phone up.

"Hello?" asked Darry. He sounded lost.

"Ponyboy? What's wrong?" he asked. My ears perked up st the sound of his name. Why was Pony calling?

The rest of the room went silent, too.

"What did he say?" demanded Darry. I could tell that he was getting on edge about something. Was Pony talking about Soda or me?

Pony must have said something bad, because Darry gasped extremely loud. I furrowed my brows and looked at Steve, Two Bit, and Dally.

"I'll be there in a few minutes," he replied, hastily. I was so confused. I felt a bad feeling grow in my stomach.

"What?" he mumbled. Something was definetly wrong. Darry looked like he was going to pass out.

"Alright. I love you. Hang tight," said Darry. He put the phone down. His face was stone cold.

"What's going on, Darry?" I asked. He looked down.

"We have to go to the hospital. Something's wrong with Pony," he stated.

I wanted to vomit suddenly. I thought he was getting better.

"Did he say what?" asked Steve. Darry shook his head.

"He didn't say anything, but he told me that I have to get down there immediately. He told me to bring the rest of the gang too," he said, motioning to us. All of us nodded.

"Well, let's go. I'll drive," stated Two Bit.

We all rushed out of the door in a hurry.

-

The five of us arrived at the hospital. There was an eery feeling. Everything felt ominous.

Nothing was right.

Darry walked up to a doctor that was outside Ponyboy's door.

"I'm Ponyboy's brother, Darrel Curtis," he stated. He reached out to shake the doctor's hand.

"Dr. Porzingus," he replied. He looked sharp.

"What seems to be the problem, doctor?" asked Darry. The doctor cleared his throat.

"Ponyboy seems to be having some issues. His wound is having trouble healing, and we might think that some of his ribs shattered. We also have to check for eternal bleeding. There's a lot going wrong," he stated. All of our breath's hitched.

"Will you have to do surgery?" questioned Darry. The doctor nodded his head.

"We will, but we need consent from his legal guardian," replied the doctor. Darry nodded his head.

"Alright, conduct the surgery if you must. I have one condition though, we all need to see Ponyboy before the surgery," he demanded. The doctor nodded his head.

"Of course, say your pieces," he said, pointing towards the door.

We all rushed in.

-

Ponyboy was laying on the bed, looking lifeless. He was completely white, and his eyes were dull. His hair looked like it was fake.

We all slowly walked to the bed. We didn't want to scare or hurt him.

"How're you feeling?" asked Two Bit. He wasn't trying to be comical for once.

"I'm alright," he stated, smiling a bit. Something told me that there was something more.

"You're going to get through this," said Steve. He grabbed his hand. My breathe hitched. We still didn't tell Steve about us.

"We all love you, Pony," said Dal. I nodded my head in agreement.

Everyone was saying their pieces. Everyone said that they loved him, or that he was brave.

I felt something tug at my heart strings. I needed a moment alone with Pony.

"Can I talk to Pony alone?" I asked, stepping into the conversation again. Everybody nodded sympathetically, and then walked out slowly.

-

I sat down on the bed next to Pony, and grabbed his hand.

"You're going to be okay, Pony," I said reassuringly. He tried to smile.

"I know I am, Johnnycakes," he replied. His cold, pale hand reached out to stroke my cheek.

"I love you so much. You're so brave," I stated. He breathed in, almost like he was going to say a speech.

"I love you too," he whispered. I leaned down to kiss his forehead.

This was not the time for a make out session.

There was a knock on the door. A nurse stepped in.

"I have to inject Ponyboy with pain killer," she said, walking over. She now stood at the edge of the bed, putting the needle into Pony's arm. I flinched.

I squeezed his hand one last time.

Ponyboy's eyes began to flutter. My eyes landed on a paper addressed to me.

I slowly pocketed it, and then walked out.

-

The whole gang went home.

I sat on Ponyboy's bed, and opened the letter.

"Dear Johnny..."