Chapter Thirty // Answers

Johnny's POV

It had been a few hours since I had left the tulips and the note for Pony. While I was gone, I was feeling anxious, excited, and scared all at the same time. I didn't know how he'd react, and in a way, I didn't want to know out of fear.

"What if he didn't love me back? What if I was too late?" I asked myself.

Currently, I was waiting on a ride to the hospital from Two Bit. Dally was out doing something right now, probably business, and I didn't want to interrupt him when he was already helping a lot.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard laughing behind me.

"What're you thinking about so hard, hm?" asked Two Bit from behind me. He put one of his hands on my right shoulder.

"I'll tell you on the car," I replied. Two Bit made a whistling sound for dramatic effect. I cracked a smile.

Two Bit and I stepped out of the house, and walked to his car. We both stepped in and buckled up.

He began to drive.

"So, what have you been thinking about?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows. I giggled.

"I broke up with Angela," I stated. Two Bit hit the breaks.

"You did?" he exclaimed. I widened my eyes, confused to his reaction.

"Yeah, yeah. I did, she's gone," I replied, hesitating. Did I do something wrong?

"Thank god!" he squealed. I sighed in relief. I thought he was going to try and punch me.

He started to drive again.

"Is that why you're going to the hospital?" he questioned. I grinned and his my face. I felt myself going white.

"Yeah, but I already asked him to be my boyfriend earlier," I stated. Two Bit whooped.

"And? What did he say?" he asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

"I left him tulips and a note. I'm going to see his answer right now," I stated. Two Bit was all smiles.

"Well, I hope it works out for you, kid," he stated. The car stopped.

We were at the hospital.

-

I was walking down the corridor to get to Ponyboy's room. I was nervous and scared, but I was also happy and joyful. It was a strange combination.

I took a deep breathe before turning the handle to Pony's room. I wanted to prolong everything for as long as I could.

I quietly stepped into the room, hearing soft breathing. I walked up to the bed.

Ponyboy was sleeping, but it was clear that he had read the note and touched the flowers. Everything was moved.

I took a seat on the chair next to the bed, and grabbed Pony's hand. I squeezed it lightly, feeling the heat that came from it.

Ponyboy's hand was always warm, and always soft. Whenever I held them, I was reminded if kindness and hope.

The reaction he had on me was unbelievable.

He made a groan of pain, and his other hand went to touch where he had been shot. It must've hurt still, but he was still asleep.

I stared at him, and wondered how someone could be so flawless.

His pale skin was like alabaster, and the blush on his cheeks reminded me of roses. I loved it when he blushed. It was the cutest thing in the world.

How could someone be close to dying, yet look like a model? I bet I looked hideous when I was in the hospital.

Ponyboy began to stir in his sleep. I just held his hand, wanting him to feel alright.

His eyes began to flicker open. I could see the beautiful green color they were. I wanted to melt.

I wasn't paying much attention to anything but his eyes, but then he smiled. His lips were curled up slightly, and he looked at me with happiness.

I felt him squeeze my hand tightly.

"Hi," he whispered sweetly. He let out a yawn.

"Hey, how're you feeling?" I asked him. He had a stray hair in front of his face. I couldn't help but brush it away. He blushed.

"I'm still in a bit of pain, but I'm okay," he replied. I nodded. I was happy that he was doing a bit better.

"I got your letter and flowers," he suddenly said, pointing to them. I felt my whole face turn red.

My emotions began to spill out like water.

"God Ponyboy, I love you so much, and I really hope you love me back! I know you're sort of with Steve, but I broke up with Angela so I could be with you. You mean everything to me Ponyboy, and you can say no if you want. I just want you to be happy," I rushed out. Ponyboy chuckled. I swore I somehow managed to then pinker.

"God, I'm sorry. I'm like a huge mess-" I began. Something interrupted me.

I could feel his lips pressed against mine, shutting me up. We moved in sync. It was a sweet kiss. It reminded me of what it felt like to really be at home.

We pulled away from each other. I looked down, feeling the butterflies in my stomach grow. He was amazing. He grabbed my hand again.

"What made you change your mind?" he asked. I sighed, knowing that we'd come to this point.

"I always knew I was gay. The thing with Angela was fake, but that's another story. The thing was, when I saw you lying on the hospital bed, dying, I knew that I needed to take action. I didn't want you to die without knowing how I felt. On the first day when I came to visit you, I balled my eyes out. I reached out to touch your hand, and I felt a million things. You were dying, but your hands were still warm and soft. You were still you. Everything came into place after that," I told him. I was sobbing by the time I was done.

He was tearing up.

"I love you, Johnny," he whispered. I tried to smile.

"I love you too," I replied. He gripped my hand tighter.

Something suddenly hit me.

"Will you be my boyfriend, Ponyboy Michael Curtis?" I asked. He smiled wider than I could have imagined.

"Yes."

-

Even though Ponyboy was mine, nothing would prepare me for what was about to come next...