Chapter Twenty Eight // Tulips

Johnny's POV

I jumped out of my seat when I got my brilliant idea. Everyone in the room looked at me with confusion in their eyes.

"What's going on, Johnny?" asked Two Bit. Everyone was alarmed by my harsh movements, but the tears in my eyes.

"Can I talk to you, Dal?" I asked. He nodded, and stood up. Steve and Two Bit looked out of it.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go," he stated. We walked out of the house together.

-

Dally and I were a few blocks away from the Curtis house. We both focused on the noise of our feet hitting the ground.

"What did you need to talk about, Johnny?" questioned Dally. I took a deep breathe, trying to compose myself.

"I broke up with Angela," I stated. Dally blinked a few times, and then broke out into the biggest smile I've ever seen.

"Thank god! Good for you," he exclaimed. I released the breathe I was holding.

"Yeah, yeah. I told her that I found out she was two timing me, and I broke it off with her," I stated. Dally nodded.

"Does that mean...?" he asked, trailing off. I nodded.

"Yeah, it does, Dal. It really does," I replied. Dally patted my shoulder, before he engulfed me in a hug.

"What's the plan?" he questioned. I thought for a moment, and then began to speak.

"Well, first I'm going to..."

-

Dally did exactly as I told him when it came to his part of the plan. No one suspected a thing.

He had gotten me Ponyboy's sleeping schedule, which was crucial to the plan that I was devising. Without it, everything would be a huge flop.

Currently, I was standing at the store, getting some materials. In front of me were isles of colored paper, pens, and everything you could imagine. I was overwhelemed.

There was some nice paper, and fancy pens, so I picked up a few. I could definitely put them to good use if I tried hard enough.

I walked around the store a bit, till I found what I needed. Flowers.

I rushed over to them, examining each one. There were roses, lilacs, gardenias, and everything else you could imagine.

Then, my eyes landed on exactly what I was looking for.

Ponyboy and I were taking a walk in the park, when his eyes caught something. There were beautiful tulips planted in the ground, ranging of different colors.

"Look Johnny!" exclaimed Ponyboy, pointing at the plant.

"Yeah, really nice," I replied. I was a bit confused. Ponyboy ran up to the flowers. He started to touch them.

"Tulips are my favorite flower," he stated with a giggle. I suddenly realized how cute he looked when he was touching the flower.

"They're really pretty," I exclaimed. I never knew that Ponyboy had a flowery side to him. I liked it. It made him softer.

I almost said "they're as pretty as you," but I refrained. No one was to know of my crush on Pony.

"Tulips are generally used to describe love," he said. I nodded, and then sat down next to him. I knew he was a few seconds from mumbling about everything he could think about.

"Also, red tulips symbolize true love, while yellow tulips represent cheerfulness and sunshine. On top of that, white tulips represent forgiveness, and multicolored tulips represent beautiful eyes," he mumbled. I cracked into the biggest grin imaginable.

"That sure is something, ain't it?" I replied. He started to blush.

God, he looked good when he blushed.

I repressed my feelings.

I looked at all the tulips that the store had, deciding which ones to get. Ultimately, I got one of each color. They all represented how I felt about Ponyboy. I think he's the love of my life.

I began to tear up in the store.

This time I think they were happy tears.

-

It was 4:00 in the afternoon when I got to the hospital. I knew for a fact that nobody would be there visiting him right now. Everyone was either at work, or Dally was holding them off from coming.

In my hand, there were four tulips in my hand, all representing something different. There was one of each color, and they all looked bright and cheerful compared to the dreary hospital.

I began to walk down the corridor to Pony's room. My steps were slow and quiet. I really couldn't believe what I was about to do.

If you told me I would be here a week ago, I would have laughed my head off and try to reject the thought of it.

When I got to Pony's room, I quietly opened to door, inch by inch. I didn't want to wake him. According to Dally, he usually slept around now.

When I stepped into the room, it was completely silent. I looked at him, and I swore that my heart melted.

Ponyboy was clutching a blanket tightly, and his eyes were closed. He looked adorable when he slept, like he was younger. His skin seemed to radiate, and his mouth was slight agape. I wanted to reach out and stroke his cheek, but I refrained.

I suddenly remembered what I was doing here, so I put my plan into action. I set the flowers down on the table that was next to his bed, and then I took the note I had written out. I decided to read it one last time.

The paper I had written was nice, clean, and crisp. It cost a bit of money, but I wanted to do everything perfectly for him.

I had written the note in silver pen, making it look even cleaner. I felt like I did a pretty good job, appearance wise.

I began to read what I had written.

Dear Ponyboy,

It would be wrong of me to say that you don't mean the world to me, because that is a lie.You mean everything to me, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes.

I'm hopelessly in love with you, and I wouldn't have it any way. I'm just sorry I didn't admit it sooner, and that I tried to hide from it.

You once told me your favorite flowers were tulips because they represent love.

I love you.

I always have, and I always will.

Red symbolizes true love, and you're mine. You've always been mine.

Yellow represents cheerfulness and sunshine, and when you're around, I'm the happiest I've ever been. You make me feel joy. You brought happiness into my life, something I thought was impossible.

White represents forgiveness, and I forgive you for being mad at me, and for trying to be with someone else.It's okay, I understand now. I just hope you can forgive me.

Lastly, a multicolored tulip. You said that multicolored tulips meant beautiful eyes. Well, even though you might not be too fond of yours, I love them. Green was never my favorite color, until I looked into your eyes.

Ponyboy Michael Curtis, I love you with all my heart, and everything I have.

Will you be my boyfriend?

-

I placed the note next to the flowers, and took one last look at Ponyboy.

I walked quietly out of the room.