We're Barely Past The Starting Line

Lauren's PoV

I bit my lip as green eyes looked back at me. I couldn't back-pedal this one, could I?

Madison laughed, tossing her head back as she slapped her knee. "Oh God that's awesome!"

I blinked. "Awesome?"

"Well yea, I mean Camila Cabello is the hottest chick Austin's ever dated and it turns out that she's into women more?" She laughed even more as I sat there completely confused. It was all so twisted.

"Madison, I didn't say Camila was gay," I said firmly, keeping my eyes on the ice. I noticed Camila was back in the penalty box and I smirked, she was feisty on the ice.

"Whatever," Madison calmed down, "I'm not going to tell anyone about you and Camila if you don't tell anyone about Trixie and me," she held her hand towards me so I would shake on it.

"What makes you think that anything's going on between Camila and I?" I challenged.

She shrugged. "Trixie mentioned her suspicions."

I knew that girl was trouble.

Sighing, I took Madison's hand and shook it, leaning forward while tightening my grip on her hand, "if this leaks out I'll know whose ass to beat down," I whispered harshly.

Clearing our throats we both sat back in our chairs in mutual agreement. Once the buzzer went off to announce the game was over, the whole arena started cheering. Southwood Scorpions won. 14-3.

I got up, doing up my coat. I had to get out of there before I ran into Austin. "Well, it was nice meeting you."

Madison stood and nodded. "Trixie's going to sleep before practice tonight, would you like to hang out for a bit?"

I thought about that for a second. It beat going home. I just needed time. "Sure," I smiled softly.

Madison grinned as we made our way through the crowd and out of the building.

I wasn't sure how long I'd try and keep to myself. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt Camila, especially after what happened. I just couldn't deal with Austin right now. We were best friends growing up, I could tell the guy anything and knew it'd be kept safe. He always covered for me when I was skipping out past my curfew. He was like a brother to me.

I was just so in love with his cousin and it hurt me knowing that I wasn't only hers.

I was scared. I couldn't ruin our family.

Yet I couldn't just let Camila go that easily. She not only had my heart, she now had my body and soul.

- - - -

Was it Sunday night already? I looked across the dinner table as she sat there, eating her peas politely. She told me she hated peas but that was my girl, eating them in all politeness. Her eyes connected with mine and I swallowed, dropping my gaze.

"So Lauren," my Uncle Vic took a sip of his water and looked at me with a small smile, "Camila tells us that you are helping her sister out with some music."

I finished chewing my piece of chicken and nodded. "Yea, just the lyrics."

Austin shuffled his chair closer to the table and changed the subject. "I saw Madison at practice this morning, she said you two hung out after Mila's game yesterday." He eyed me up and I nodded.

"Yea, just went to the mall for a bit," my eyes briefly wandered to the brunette who dropped her fork and then quickly picked it up, slightly embarrassed. She ducked her head and mumbled her apologies, rolling her peas with her fork. I frowned when I noticed that crease that formed on her head when she was confused or hurt.