Slipping Through The Cracks

Camila's PoV

Kyla seemed pretty bummed that her parents haven't even tried to contact her since she moved out. But she was really glad to know that Austin's parents were accepting the fact that they were about to be grandparents and it made my life easier knowing that they more than adore Kyla now.

"You would think you were the one pregnant." I snickered as Austin cleaned off my bowl of ice cream after having Lauren and Kyla's.

"I think I have like, sympathy symptoms or something," he shrugged and licked the spoon clean, winking at me.

Lauren smirked. "You're really glowing these days Kyla. We're gone for three weeks, we come back and you're glowing more than ever."

"If by glowing you mean fat? Then yea, I'm glowing." Kyla sighed and rolled her eyes as her hand rubbed against her very swollen stomach. "Baby Mahone is making Mommy tired and exhausted." She whined.

That's what seven months of being pregnant did to you. Made you fat and cranky.

"So," Austin finished Sofi's bowl of ice cream and proceeded to hold Kyla's hand gently, "Ky and I were talking about our future and I think I'm going to go to Community College instead of University and get a job."

"Wow," I smiled, clearly impressed. Basketball meant everything to him. "No game?"

He shrugged and looked at Kyla before looking back at me, "I can still play for fun and maybe pick up where I left off later on, but for now I've got a family to take care of and if sacrificing the game-"

"I told him he didn't have to give up on his dream," Kyla smiled and patted his leg, "but it's sweet that he wants too."

Lauren grinned and leaned over to ruffle her cousin's hair. "I'm proud of you, Aus."

"Me too." I chipped in.

"Yea," Austin shrugged but smiled bashfully, "when the baby's born, Kyla will be moving in with me so I'll be able to be there with my son and her."

"Where are you two moving?" Lauren asked, smiling at the couple sitting across from us.

"Nowhere, she'll be staying with us," he swallowed slowly before taking a deep breath, "I mean after Graduation, during the summer she'll be moving in and the nursery will be your room."

"My room? Where the hell am I going to sleep?" Lauren frowned all of a sudden and I found myself frowning as well.

"Huh?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Well," Austin played with the sleeve of his long sleeve shirt and glanced at us nervously, "you've always planned on moving back to B.C. after you graduated right? Mom and Dad want Kyla to move in with us until we get on our own feet. So the nursery will be your room once you're gone."

I think my heart just dropped to the ground, just waiting for someone to stomp on it, putting it out of its misery.

"I," Lauren stuttered slightly and bit her lip, "I mean, I..."

I had already applied to a few different Universities and Colleges through Canada. I even applied to UBC, hoping I could get some sort of scholarship through the Thunderbirds.

Clearly Lauren never thought that far.

I noticed the panic that quickly showed itself in her eyes and it broke my heart to know that on some level, we never exactly talked about what was going to those following two and a half months. Once summer was near, where would we go from there?

I had a chance at a summer hockey camp to go to in Quebec for two months out of the summer holiday. Lauren seemed to be all for it but it was never discussed any further then that. I didn't want to bring it up until I knew for sure I'd be accepted.

Lauren never talked about heading back to B.C. after Graduation.

We just never really talked about a real future. We tried to avoid it as much as possible because the thought of being apart broke my heart into a million pieces.

"We'll figure it out," I whispered in her ear.

I didn't want to think about it, to be honest with you.

"Yea," she murmured with her head down slightly before Kyla slapped the table to grab our attention.

"We should go to the arcade for a bit. Play some DDR or something. Well," she looked at her stomach, "not me but it was always fun to watch you and Austin challenge each other." She grinned and patted my hand. "It'll be fun..."

Lauren looked at me and shrugged, a small smile tugging at her own lips. "Sure, let's go."