From Yesterday

Lauren's PoV

"I figured this is where you'd be." Austin leaned against my Neon.

"Oh yea?" I threw my purse on the driver's seat and looked at him. He looked like shit. The guy needed more sleep and to lay off the steroids. He started taking them right after he lost his game winning shot a week before. He said the coach was riding his ass about it and, I couldn't tell you his reasoning.

"Yeah." He laughed, shaking his head while looking at the snow threatening sky. "God, you know Laur, we never fell for the same girl. Not once."

I gasped and looked at him in shock. "What?"

"Lauren." Austin sighed and adjusted his winter hat. "I know I can be slow at most things and it took me until last night that I realized you're in love with Camila."

I swear I felt the wind get knocked right out of me. I stared at him dumbfounded. "What?" I repeated.

"I get it though," he smiled briefly, "she's an amazing, beautiful person. I was shocked when she actually said yes when I asked her out. I thought she was out of my league but Kyla thought otherwise so she set us up."

Kyla set them up together? Camila never told me that. It didn't matter though.

He was looking at me. He was reading me and I hated that. I hated people trying to read me. I cleared my throat and panicked a little inside. "I'm not." I blurted out.

"Yea," he sighed and stretched his neck, "you are." Austin looked around before looking back at me. "See, that's why Mila has been blowing me off. You're cool Laur. You can have any girl you want. She sees that mysterious, fun side of you and she finds that more appealing. And you take it for everything it's worth because you are in love with her." He smiled in a sneering way, if that was possible. "Again, I get it though."

"Austin," I grabbed the sleeve of his jacket, "you're right, she is an amazing and beautiful person...but I'm not in love with her." Oh God it hurt to say that.

Austin snorted and shook his head to the side. "If that's your story Lauren." He started walked towards his truck before turning back around to face me. A look of realization crossed his face. My lie was dawning on him. "At the game Saturday, you were jumping down my throat about Camila and pressuring her. You freak out every time you hear the word 'marriage'," I cringed, "you were crying when she left upset last night and then I find you here the next morning?" He gave me a semi-dirty look. Too bad the bastard took that long to figure it all out. "Can you honestly tell me that you're not in love with my girlfriend? Be honest Lauren, we're still best friends right?" Austin crossed his arms over his chest and stood there, waiting for my answer.

I set my jaw and crossed my arms over my own chest, mimicking my cousin. I was in a tough spot. To lie or not to lie. Every time I remained silent during these types of questions, it reeked 'guilty' anyway. Oh fuck it. "Alright!" I said in a frustrated tone. "Yes, I'm in love with Camila! Are you happy?" I didn't want to look him in the eye.

But I did.

The fucker had a smug smirk on his face. "Wipe that fucking smug look off your face, Mahone." I scoffed.

"Must burn you up inside knowing I got there first." Austin rubbed his hands together in that cocky jock kind of way. I wanted to pummel him when he used the words 'got there first'. Too bad buddy, I was definitely there last. "She won't leave me Laur. I'm the perfect gentleman."

I opened my car door and sighed. "Austin," I looked at him and rubbed my cold hands together before placing them in my pockets, leaning against the door frame. "You are the perfect gentleman. The girl won't even let you in her pants and yet, there you are, with your tail between your legs, following her around."

"Because I love her." Austin frowned. "It's not just about sex with us," he sneered at me, his eyes narrowing in a mean sort of way, "not that you'd know anything about love. You may have fallen in love with her, but she's definitely not in love with you. You don't know what it's like to feel that love in return. So just back off, okay?"

Back off? Back off from being around Camila? Fuck that. Fuck him. I knew what it was like to be in love and have it returned to me. I had that with Camila. "I'm late for school." I slammed my door and took off as far away from him I could. Going home would be a bitch after school. Going home and seeing Austin hang off of Camila when she arrived for their date. I knew the only reason why she started to 'pick Austin up' for their date, was so she could see me.

I didn't mind. I could sneak her in my room, in my closet, in the basement, just to kiss her.

Oh but then we'd get caught and my life would be hell with my Aunt and Uncle here and my parents back home.

Reality was knocking me on my ass. Austin knew I was in love with Camila. What he didn't know was that she was in love with me too.

I pulled up into the quiet parking lot at school. Classes had already begun and I knew I would probably get an absent mark in homeroom. I had to go back home to grab my school work, changing my clothes in the process, making me unbelievably late.

I walked in the classroom, where Mr. Handstead, our Civics and Careers teacher, looked over at me from the chalkboard. "Miss Jauregui," he smiled, "nice of you to finally join us. What's your excuse for being late this time? And don't tell me your sister ate your homework," he nodded towards the other students, "Miss Cabello already used it."

I smirked over at Camila, who grinned and blushed. "I, uh, don't have a sister. But if you must know the truth," I slid into my seat, quickly glancing at my girl with a small smile, "I was up late last night making out with one gorgeous woman and I missed the alarm. Sorry?" I chuckled as I winked at Camila. The class erupted in laughter.

"One more time Jauregui, you'll be spending your lunch in detention." Mr. Handstead nodded as he went back to work.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and breath on my neck. "Weren't you at Camila's last night?" Kyla whispered and I rolled my eyes. Here we go again.

"I was kidding Ky," I whispered back, "just wanted to rile up the teacher." I lied.

Kyla leaned back in her chair and I eyed her. She already knew how I felt about Camila. She was the first one to approach me. It wasn't going to take long before she'd find out the truth. She was Camila's best friend. Austin knew how I felt, Sofi knew the whole truth, Madison knew and Trixie knew.

I shook my head before laying it on my desk, letting out a soft sigh.

We were so screwed.