Zindagi kuch tho bata

He was taking in her appearance as if trying to memorise her features. The wine red dress made her look like a temptress. She had her hair let down freely and some of the unruly fringes resting on her forehead. Her face was clean, probably with very light makeup and only her eyes were done. The lip gloss made her lips look more succulent and plump. Her neck was empty except for the dupatta hugging her neck. The neckline of the dress she wore once again helped to accentuate her collar bones. Something he wanted to run his fingers over. His breath almost hitched when she tucked her hair behind her ear and closed her eyes as if she was enjoying the evening breeze. She suddenly felt conscious of him and cleared her throat. He averted his gaze immediately and shuffled his legs.

"Some tea for you ?" She asked

"No thanks. I am more of a coffee person" he replied and she sat back playing with the edges of her dupatta,

"No tea for you ?" He asked

"Not today" she said and offered him some of the snacks instead.

His hands automatically went for the cookies and he took one when his hands accidentally touched hers. He mumbled a sorry and withdrew his hands.

"Wanna play 20 questions ? I mean that's what they do right" she asked him unsure.

"Too cliche. Why don't we talk about something else" he asked and bit in to the cookie.

"I specialise in paediatrics. I can sometimes forget the world around me when I am in the hospital which has annoyed quiet a few people" she said embarrassed and looked up at him and found him giving her a genuine smile.

"Well I am pretty sure you would have googled about me ?" He asked.

"I did want to but then I was only going to read about what you want the public to know about you. I rather hear it from your mouth" she said genuinely.

That made him feel good.

"True that. I did finish my masters in civil but my love for numbers pushed me to finish a masters in finance and then you know going to business school" he said and she could feel how proud he was about what he had done.

"Well that is something I can most definitely find anywhere about you" she replied knowing this kind of news was there everywhere.

"Well let me ask you then, where do you see yourself after getting married ? I mean like what do you want if we were to get married?" He asked.

"I want to settle down eventually, but I don't want to be someone attending parties and socialising with the women out there. I want my identity Avinash not because of the person I am marrying to but because of who I am" she answered and looked at him.

The way she said his name had a nice to ring to it he thought. He could listen to her voice all day and the way she pronounced his name surely pulled a string or 2 in his heart.

"I don't want a trophy wife either Aadhya. You haven't practised all these years to attend parties and throw it all behind because you are marrying someone who isn't in the same field as yours" he said.

Oh how much he wanted to call her by her name "Aadhya".

"I can't say a yes now. I mean I want you to know how it can get when I get these emergency calls. I can completely go without replying for hours" she explained about her work.

"Let's talk about my out of nowhere business trips. I can be here talking to you all night as if I have nowhere to go but tomorrow I could be packing my bags for a week long trip" he said and found her listening to him attentively.

"Understand" she said and once again a comfortable silence enveloped them.

"What do you want us to do ? Do you want us to try? I mean get to know one another so that we play your 20 questions and then say yes or how?" He asked her.