Ek hazaron mein meri behna hai

"Kartik, in my cabin now" Avinash called for his PA through the intercom.

"Book my tickets to Manhattan for tonight or at the latest tomorrow and make sure other arrangements are in order" he instructed without looking up from his laptop and dismissed his PA.

There was some issue with their partner company in Manhattan which he was in charge of. He hated it when people slacked and that exactly what was happening. They needed a good lesson and he was going to give them just that for the next 1 week. He looked at his watch accidentally and realised the time. He was done for today he knew. Oh how much he wished he had another abode on such days. Now he had to deal with his mom for being late again.

He parked his car and slowly slipped in to the living room hoping and praying his mother was asleep. He quickly put his phone in silent not wanting to disturb anybody and noticed that it was 11pm. He cursed himself under his breath and his eyes fell on his mother who was reading a book.

"Look at the time Avinash Nanda. Even ghosts have their time fixed and then there is you" she sounded angry.

"There was an issue Ma" he said opening the first two buttons of his shirt. He knew he had some pacifying to do. He slipped on the seat nearby and rested his head against her shoulders and closed his eyes for a few seconds.

"You can't be repeating this habit Avi" she warned him knowing he would repeat the same in the next few days.

"Let me fix my dinner. Why don't you go and sleep ?" He tried cajoling her sweetly. Not his forte he knew very clearly.

"Get yourself to your table I am coming with your food. You would eat like a bloody pigeon if I were to let you fix your dinner. You're worse than a kid" she spoke clearly irritated.

He made his way to the table having no intention to rile her up any further. He had an official trip tomorrow which was yet to be disclosed and he was sure of another class coming his way.

"Bas Ma" he stopped her after she served 2 rotis on his plate. He took another roti seeing her pissed off face.

"I am leaving to Manhattan tomorrow night. I should be back in a week tops" he said devouring his dinner.

"What do I even do with you ? I mean you returned 2 weeks back and now you want to go again. Here I was hoping you would stick here for a while" she complained.

"One week max this time" he promised her.

"You better take care. Wish you were the old Avi" she quickly shut her mouth after letting slip those words. His face darkened for a second, reminiscing those dark days. He did not want to think about it.

"Sorry" and she wrapped her arm around his shoulders.

"It's in the past" he replied and asked her not to bother.

"Did a certain someone call you ?" She asked and pulled his cheeks.

"Ugh Ma. I am not a kid. Why would anyone call me?" He replied irritated and rubbed his cheeks.

"Aadhya. The name rings a bell?" She reminded him.

"No" and he got back to finishing his food quickly and asked her to hit the bed after promising to place the dishes in the sink.

"Night Avi ! And call her like a gentleman" she spoke and walked to her room leaving him alone.

A small smile played on his lips upon thinking about her. She literally lived in his head the whole of last week and today all of a sudden he had completely forgotten about her. There was something about her that drew him towards her. She wasn't the typical meek person. She did not want to be recognised by his name and that was all it took to develop something for her in his heart. The way her cheeks burned when he had asked if they wanted to know each other to play her 20 questions. There was an unknown innocence behind all this that made her precious. Well this one week in Manhattan would give him the time to analyse what he wanted to do with her and he decided to show himself to the media this time hoping this reminded her about him in a nice way.