Aye Dil Laaya hai Baahar

She was in two minds about sending Avinash a message. He had conveyed what he wanted to and now it was her turn. Making up her mind, she pinged him

"Have a good trip - Aadhya Chopra"

She threw away her phone not wanting to stare at it. She was nervous. Why did she have to be so desperate and go message him, she chided herself. What if the whole press statement was a huge misunderstanding. He could just be saying. God she wanted to go and bury herself some 10 feet beneath the face of the earth. The guy gave interviews like he was attending meetings. She avoided media like plague. But why was she comparing. That was his business. Her business was treating and curing kids. And she was good at it. End of story. Her phone pinged again. She searched for it thinking it was some emergency but then the notification surprised her. It was the devil himself.

"Thanks". That's all it read. She slapped her forehead for messaging him like an idiot. She couldn't sit at home after that foolish act of hers. She quickly got ready and left for her safe haven. She started her car and there was nothing that could stop her. Frontline hospital was her destination.

She drummed her fingers against the steering wheel irritated while waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Her phone pinged again. "No phone while driving" was her mantra and she focussed on the traffic ahead of her. It pinged again. She was least bothered. Another five minutes later her phone rang bringing the car audio speakers to life.

"Crap , shit , fuck" she cursed.

He was calling her. She looked at the time and that was an ungodly hour to call for a guy in the US. Nevertheless, she picked up the call through Bluetooth.

"Dr. Aadhya Chopra speaking" she replied robotically.

"Hey Doc" his manly voice boomed through the speakers.

"How are you ?" She asked him not wanting to give away too much. She wasn't going to make a fool of herself again.

"Good. Glad you got the message" she heard him reply.

"The thanks ?" She asked.

"My Manhattan trip"

"Oh" she replied dryly.

She wasn't wrong after all. The message was of course as predicted.

"I hope I am not disturbing you" he asked.

"Just driving to hospital" she replied back.

"Then a quick question, gold, silver or platinum"

"Rose gold or champagne but why" she replied puzzled

"Remember 20 questions ?" He said.

"Ah" was all she could reply

He chuckled at her reaction.

"Don't you think it's a little too late to play 20 questions. I mean aren't you supposed to be sleeping" she asked doubtfully.

"Not all the 20 but definitely I have all the time for 1 question. Plus I have a board meeting next week and a bunch of idiots to deal with" he said.

And she was a puddle. He was busy slogging and the one word reply made so much sense all of a sudden. I mean if he wasn't busy, it was still night in Manhattan and he still chose to reply. What was he turning her in to she wondered.

"Thanks Aadhya" there was a sincerity in his tone.

"No problem but why" she asked accepting his thanks.

"For messaging me. I wasn't sure if you would get to know about my official trip. The thought of informing you was only last minute honestly" she was a mess listening to him and she felt it again. Her heart thumping wildly.