𝐓𝐞𝐧|The Game

Game day

Game day.

I'm nervous and I never get nervous before any of my games. Maybe it's because Audrey's coming to watch me but that's a stupid reason to be nervous about. I actually have to pick her up in an hour now that I think about it so I better hurry up.

I take a quick shower, throw on a pair of sweatpants and pack my duffel bag. I pause, realising I don't have my jersey and then realise it's in the wash.

"Mamà!" I call out, running down the stairs and into the kitchen, where she is cooking breakfast. "My jersey Mamà."

She looks up from the cutting board and sighs,"Matteo put a shirt on," she says, moving her gaze back to the fruit she's cutting up, "and your jersey's in the dryer. It's probably done by now."

I walk up to her and grin. "Thank you." I say, hugging her tightly.

She smiles, drops the knife and hugs me back. "Good luck with your game. Call me when you've finished." She says softly and pecks my cheek.

She's not coming to this one because she's flying over to Florida for her modelling shoot. Hence why my dad said he would come. I haven't spoken to him since he told me he was cancelling again a week ago. He promised. He's not the type of man to break his promises.

"I will." I say, throwing an arm over her shoulder and stealing a pineapple slice she was cutting up.

"Will you also talk to your father while I'm gone, please?"

I sit down on the bar stool and lean my forearms against the counter. "No, I don't want to talk to him. He's a lying asshole." I scoff.

She sighs and puts the fruit in a bowl before setting it at the table. "Fine."

I can tell she's getting tired of us not talking but I can't help my pettiness. He promised he'd come and he never breaks his promises. Though, I know he cares.

But he cares in his own way. My father's love languages are protecting us, slaughtering our demons for us, and making sure no one bothers us. But since I grew up into my role as his heir, the slaughtering demons part is exclusive to my sister, Reyna. In fact, I've joined in that.

We're Mom's and Reyna's guardian angels.

"Where is he?" I mutter, glancing over at her.

"Left early for a meeting."

"Of course." I roll my eyes and get up from my seat. "I'll be down in a bit." I say before getting my jersey from the dryer and disappearing up to my room. 

I fold my jersey and put in my duffel bag along with my other hockey gear. Once I'm done, I close it, grab a hat and put on my hoodie. I comb my fingers through my damp hair and put my hat on backwards before putting on my matching Jordan 4s.

I check the time on my watch and see that I have twenty minutes until I have to pick Audrey up.

Grabbing my bag, phone and car keys, I go back downstairs to see Reyna at the table eating food with Mamà. I put my bag by the door and join them.