𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱|Restaurant

Matteo slowly lets go of Jacob after noticing the many stares he's getting and within a blink of an eye he's leaving the cafeteria, pushing past the groups of people

"Matteo." I call out after him but he doesn't listen and chooses to quicken his pace. "Wait, please."

I watch him rush out of the school doors and that's when I lose sight of him. Quickly, I rush outside and scan the whole parking lot but I don't see him anywhere. His car is still here so he couldn't of gone far.

Frowning, I walk around the school building and see him sitting on the curb, staring at the ground blankly. I sigh in relief and walk over to him. He doesn't look up like usually does when he hears me coming but chooses to keep his gaze downwards.

Silently, I sit down next to him and notice how his chest is rising and falling rapidly.

"Matteo." I sigh softly and reach for him.

"Leave me alone." He says sharply, moving away from my hand.

"Talk to me." I say, not listening to him and ignoring the painful pang in my chest because of the sudden change in his tone.

He stays silent and keeps his gaze away from mine so the back of his head is facing me. Whatever Jacob said couldn't of affected that much because he never lets his words get to him. Something else must be going on.

"Just go, Audrey." He mutters.

"Why?" I say, "Why do you want me to leave?"

He lets out a shaky breath and slowly turns his head to meet my gaze. The troubling gleaming that flashes across his blue eyes has me furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"I can't give you what you want," He says quietly, "You deserve better."

"What makes you think that?" I say softly, moving closer to him. Where is this coming from? What did that bastard say to him?

"Because of my fucking lifestyle, Audrey. I can't involve you in my mess." He says, frowning and gripping his hair tightly.

"Matteo," I sigh, prying his hands away from his hair and wrapping my arms around him, "You're what I want. You always will be. I know you won't hurt me and I don't care what anyone else thinks as long as I have you."

"I'd hate myself if I let anything happen to you, amore." He whispers, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Nothing will." I whisper back, kissing his temple.

"You won't leave me, will you?" He mumbles into my neck and it's the first time I've heard him sound so vulnerable.

I gape at the top of his head and find myself instantly shaking my head. "No. Never."

His whole body melts into my arms and his breath tickles my neck when he sighs. I want to ask him the same question but I'm scared of the answer. Everyone in my life has always left, what makes him any different?