𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞|Omertà

After lunch, I had an emergency call so I dropped my girl off and drove straight home

After lunch, I had an emergency call so I dropped my girl off and drove straight home. I wish I could've stayed but I rarely get calls.

"Mamà? Papà?" I call out as soon as I get inside the house.

I rush inside the living room and see them sitting down on the couch with my sister, Theo and Alea.

"What's going on?" I furrow my eyebrows, slowly walking inside and eyeing them skeptically.

"Sit down, kid." Dad says, clasping his hands together and gesturing towards the empty seat next to Reyna with his chin.

I sit down next to her and when I glance over at her, she shrugs her shoulders at me. Deafening silence sits around us as I wait anxiously for answers until I hear mom sigh.

"Theo and Alea are stepping down as our second in commands." She says.

My head snaps towards their direction as my eyes grow wide. "What?" I say in disbelief. They've been in the mafia for years and now they're all of a sudden leaving.

"Why?" Reyna asks, sitting up in her seat.

"For the safety of our kids." Alea replies. "We've been thinking about this for a while now and we've finally made a decision."

"We were waiting until you two were old enough," Dad says, "So they can leave."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

He sits up and rests his elbows on his knees. "Matteo," He starts off, "As the heir to this mafia, I want you to be my second in command."

I swallow the lump in my throat and run my hands stressfully through my hair. "What?" If possible my eyes grow even wider.

That's a huge fucking responsibility. If anything were to happen to the Don then I would be in the position to take over the mafia and I don't know if I'm ready for that. I'm still a kid. I want to go to college. Join the NHL. Hell, I want to be able to spend time with my girl but doing this job will take over my life.

Fuck. Audrey, I can't risk putting her life in danger.

"I'm not going to burden you with this responsibility, Matteo. The decision is completely up to you and I won't be mad if you choose to go against the idea." He quickly clarifies.

I want to do this. Dad has built this entire empire for years. I can't let him down now. "No," I say firmly, shaking my head, "I'll do it, Dad."

His lips tug upwards and his whole body relaxes as he releases a sigh of relief.

"Thank fuck. You know how stressed this guy was?" Theo says, throwing his arm around my neck and ruffling my hair as he points at my Dad.

"And Reyna?" Mom suddenly says so Reyna turns her attention towards her. "If you want, I want you to be my second in command. You are the heir after all."