The Girl Who Knew Too Much

"Over here!" Max yelled as she spotted the blue Jeep pull into the school parking lot late at night

"Over here!" Max yelled as she spotted the blue Jeep pull into the school parking lot late at night. Stiles and Scott both ran over meeting the three girls as Max rubbed Lydia's back trying to support her.

"Lydia?" Stiles asked, "It's the same thing-- same thing as the pool. I got into the car heading somewhere totally different, and ended up here. ...And you told me to call you if there's a dead body." Lydia told the boys.

"You found a dead body?" Stiles asked her. "Not yet..." Lydia sighed leaning her head on Max's shoulder. "Not yet?" What do you mean, "not yet?" Lydia, you're supposed to call us after you find the dead body." Stiles scoffed.

"Stiles." Max hissed glaring at her boyfriend. "Oh, no I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on." Lydia said to him, glaring at him. "How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're always the one finding the dead body!" Stiles yelled at her making all three girls roll their eyes.

"Guys...?" Scott calls out making everyone look to where he walked away, "I found the dead body."

🌕

Max's mind is in a different place as she wonders about the deputy found dead. "Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes, all tools the writer uses to tell their story." Ms. Blake spoke up, stopping next to Lydia and Max's desks. "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents." She said looking at Lydia's desk.

"You and every guy I've ever dated." Lydia said, making Max snort as she hides her face in her sweater. Max sinks down in her seat as she plays with the ends of her hair avoiding Ms. Blake's taken back look. She glances up to see Ms. Blake finally look away from the girl, "Sorry." She mutters. "And that was an idiom by the way." She said unimpressed, as Lydia went back to drawing.

"Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or culture." She said walking back up to the front.

"They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race. Or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board."

"Like chess." Stiles muttered, making Ms. Blake looks back at him with a smile, "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?" She asked as he shook his head, "Uh, no. My father does."

"Now when does an idiom become a cliche?" As hands go up in the classroom, Scott leans over to Stiles and Max. "I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk." Scott said, making Max look at him with her eyebrows raised in confusion. "Isn't that a bad idea? I mean he is like enemy number one."

"The Emissaries are Druids, right?" He asked and they nodded, "So what if the Darach was an Emissary to the Alphas?"

"First of all, I can't believe we've gotten to the point where a sentence like 'what if the Darach was an Emissary to the Alphas' actually makes sense to me. Second, there's a huge problem with getting to Ethan." Stiles said. "What's that?" Scott asked.