one - welcome to hurricane

January 21st 1983.

Hurricane, Utah.

I had just been on what had to be the worst flight ever. It was only like two hours long but it felt like shit.

Me and B/N had just flew all the way from California to Utah on our own. Seriously, Utah, who gave grandma the stupid idea to go live there?

One of my friends told me before I left that Hurricane was really cold, especially in the winter. It couldn't be that cold could it, I mean, L.A isn't that bad, how could of that been a difference?

Scratch that.

It was fucking minus three outside and I wasn't wearing a jacket.

Stumbling out from the bright yellow taxi, I handed the driver a couple dollars which he grunted at in response. Rude.

I was finally in Utah. And my brother too. We looked around the area we were in. It looked broke down and old, ancient almost, compared to L.A.

"This is Utah?" B/N asked, glancing around the plain street in confusion. I was surprised myself, I was expecting more but its a completely different state, away from the big cities, of course its different.

"Welcome to Hurricane I guess." I replied with a shrug.

We waddled down the street we stopped at, shivering as we went. B/N at least put thought into wearing a thin jacket, I was just wearing a lame zip up so it wasn't very useful.

The road was covered in a thin layer of snow, the trees above lacking leaves, instead replaced with icicles dripping down from the branches. A couple kids playing in the snow stared at us both as we stumbled down the slippy asphalt. It probably looked stupid seeing a couple kids walking half naked with a few bags in our hands.

We finally approached grandma's house slowly, pushing our feet harshly through the snow layered path. God, my trainers were going to be soaked.

I stepped up the small staircase consisting of two or three steps, standing on the porch and ringing the doorbell. My hand slowly turned light shades of purple and blue. I rubbed them together, hopefully creating some heat in between them. We waited patiently, shuffling my feet as we did.

I took time to admire her house. I stood back slightly away from her porch, tripping a bit on the snow.

Her house was quite big, two stories high, with a big slanted roof. There was a garage to the left of the house and large windows covering the plain white long plank walls. I saw several frost covered bushes and trees planted in her front garden, something that I hadn't seen in her neighbourhood so far.

"Is she even in?" B/N asked impatiently, he played around with the strap of his backpack. I sighed.

"I don't know, isn't she like half deaf or something." I muttered in response, crossing my arms.

"I dunno."

Suddenly, out of no where, I heard keys jiggling loudly behind the door, then a lock turning, then the door opening quickly with a loud squeak.

"Oh my goodness! Y/N, B/N! You're here!" Grandma exclaimed. Jesus, she had changed like hell.

Since we didn't see her a lot, we didn't know how she exactly looked like but I was convinced this wasn't my grandma, this was my future rich auntie or something.

Her hair was white and short, but really fluffy and curly, it was almost the same shade as the snow outside. I was convinced it was dyed. Her face wasn't even that wrinkly, it was a bit but not a lot. She had makeup on her face too, not something you would see on old ladys a lot. There was a small layer of silver eyeshadow topping her eyelids, giving them an odd glow in the winter lighting. Her lips were a deep shade of magenta, as if she was at a party and don't even start on the silver hoop earrings that were dangling from her ears. Usually, this kind of neon style wouldn't be usual on old women but on grandma it looked rad.