fifty five - promise

I've changed a lot of dates and might change them more to make the story fit (it's all inaccurate I know) ☠️

Contains blood!

September 4th 1993.

I saw Michael again. Weakly crawling through low floods, in the same void I was in not more than a month ago.

The water had risen, soaking my ankles and turning them blue. All I could do was stare at Michael who collapsed into a ball just metres away from me. He was sobbing loudly again, his wails slicing through my heart.

I wanted to go up to him; help him; lead him towards a new light, but my legs were stuck. I tried to walk but I was moving slower than a snail. The water only seemed to get deeper as I approached him, lifting higher past my ankles to my calves. It was cold, too cold that it made my legs go numb, but I didn't care.

I didn't care if I would die from hyperthermia. I didn't care if I knew I was being followed.

I took slow, gentle steps through the puddles of agonisingly cold water, swallowing back the lump in my throat whenever my splashes got a bit too loud. Michael's sobbing remained the same, which was weird, as I recalled the last time his crying always got louder.

But now it seemed to fade. It was getting quieter, his voice sounding strained. Then I realised he was actually begging for help.

My feet came to a dead stop when I heard the loud scream of a child behind me and I spun around, but no one was there. The scream was so lifelike, like it had happened before. It didn't sound like Michael, this was more... high pitched? Strained? It still reminded me of him, and I didn't like that one bit. The sudden shriek of pain ended with sounds of choking and gurgling and- It couldn't be. I glanced back, hoping to see Michael still crying and not injured but he was gone. A shudder crawled up my spine and I felt myself hyperventilating, watching as my feet suddenly disappeared under the depths of- I couldn't call it water.

What used to be a small puddle of water was now rising faster than ever before. I frantically pulled my foot out of the water; my entire ankle stained in the dark, metal smelling liquid.

I stumbled backwards uncontrollably, hoping I would fall and be transported back to a better world. But my leg hit something freezing and I tripped over, the lower half of my body now soaked a sickening red.

My eyes widened as I saw the figure in front of me, lying limp at my feet; blood spurting drastically from his stomach and mouth; replacing the water.

Michael. His eyes were wide open, staring straight ahead; that once purple uniform now drenched in the irony liquid I never wanted to see on him again.

I forced down the lump in my throat and threatened to touch him; to feel if there was any warmth to regain; to hold him and promise I would never let him out of my sight. But my heart said different, and I was crawling out of the mountains of blood; my legs trembling with each movement as I attempted a getaway.

My heart raced in my chest, my breathing erratic and out of control. I tried and tried and tried but I couldn't keep going, my legs were malfunctioning on me.

I found myself slipping again, falling face first into the pool of blood. It seemed to rise all around me and soon Michael's body was no where to be seen. I couldn't even see my own legs, I couldn't see anything around me.

I don't know why it seemed to rise higher and higher, almost like a tsunami. But the second it rised above my throat and started sputtering on it: I was convinced it was real.

"Y/N?"

My eyes shot open with a loud, breathless gasp. The room was bright and my vision wasn't adjusting. My body; it was twitching and shuddering out of my control.