thirty nine - unsober birthday

June 21st 1993.

I hated working on days I wished I was free. Was it really that hard to give me a day off St. George Regional Hospital?

At least they gave me the day shift instead however, which meant I was home by the evening and I could go out and spend Michael's birthday not in the hospital dealing with patients and emergencies.

He was more than glad when he heard I could go out with him, he told me to bring Terry as long as well. We were apparently going to a bar with Zach too but since I had work tomorrow possibly, I really had to put off drinks. Unless... one drink wouldn't hurt?

The doorbell rung just as I had finished doing my makeup. It was a bar after all so I decided to stay casual in clothing but it was also Michael's birthday, so I wore a skirt anyway.

"Is Michael here already? I thought we were going there on our own." Terry spoke up from the bathroom, striding into the living room with her earrings halfway in her ear where I was packing up my things into a purse.

I shrugged. "I don't know, I never asked for him to pick us up." I replied with a sigh. "Nick would freak if he knew I was with him again."

Terry smirked at me, trying to insert her hoops into her ears and failing. "Nick's at work, he wouldn't know." She shot a playful wink, putting her hand on her hip. I rolled my eyes but I still felt the heat creeping up my neck and face.

I shrugged again, walking towards the door quickly. "He'll be back soon anyway so make up excuses, pronto."

I opened the door, smiling widely at Michael who was leaning against the side of my door with his keys in his hands, waiting patiently with a cigarette in between his fingers. I guess he never did put off smoking. He wasn't all dressed up but who the hell made him look so good in just jeans and a flannel? Nick was gonna strangle me for thinking like this...

"Hey... sorry for keeping you long." I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. Mike grinned, straightening and facing me, his gaze drifting up and down me again. I was just wearing a black denim skirt, white top and a short plaid flannel but his stare remained permanent. "I didn't know you were coming."

"I got off work early, might as well give you two girls a ride." He responded with a smirk, winking as he leaned into my doorframe. That same tone of playfulness in his voice, sometimes I wish he wasn't joking.

Okay I gotta stop thinking like that. I love Nick, only Nick Y/N.

Terry spawned behind me, already pushing through the door. "Come on Y/N, alcohol waits for no one!"

She had already managed to get a ride down in the elevator by the time I finished locking up our apartment. Mike chuckled softly, following me into the next elevator, taking a drag from his cigarette before flicking it to the floor outside.

"She never changed huh?"

Look who else didn't change.

I scoffed with a playful smirk. "As if, now she can't manage to get one shot down her throat." Michael laughed, pressing the button to the ground floor. He leaned against the elevator wall with his arms crossed, his gaze glued to mine. Those fucking blue eyes, Nick could never.

"You're supposed to be the technician, how the hell do you remember where I live?" I eventually questioned with a laugh, breaking the short silence. Michael raised his eyebrows. I swear I saw a light pink rise in his cheeks but it faded the second his stare moved to the ground, a heavy sigh escaping his lips.

"Some information is valuable to know off by heart." He replied, lifting his neck into the air as he adjusted the collar of his leather jacket. The way he handled his collar made something inside of me snap. Shut up Y/N.