seven - school project

February 28th 1983.

I smiled as I saw Terry approach me in the halls, coming up to me and leaning on the lockers beside me.

"Hey girl." Terry exclaimed, shooting me a wide grin. I waved.

Okay, almost the end of the month. The snow had fully melted by now and it was getting warmer outside as spring came along. That meant me and Terry could hang out more and who knows what.

Oh this year summer is gonna be sick.

Just as long as that airhead Michael won't disturb me. Or ask me for cigarettes again. God I wished he would just stop torturing us, it was getting hella annoying now.

"Hey." I replied casually back to Terry, shaking my head out my thoughts. That smile she flashed me everyday literally made my enter life brighten up immediately.

I don't think I had felt like that since I had one 'best friend' in third grade. I've missed that feeling.

"You remember the history project we got assigned with, its due next week." Terry reminded, I groaned.

On Friday, our history teacher, Mrs Breckman had assigned us with a history project. We had to research the forties and fifties and ask our parents about those times and shit. The forties wasn't even that long ago, just about fourty years ago I guess.

"God Terry don't remind me, I'm not in the mood for shit like that." I responded in annoyance. I was not bothered to do some research on the forties. I don't think it was even that interesting.

Terry giggled in response. "It seems kinda cool though, like I bet my mom has a lot of stories to tell. I mean, some of them even lived through wars and shit."

I smiled weakly. It must of been great having a healthy family with loving parents, a good house and all the love and care you need.

I'd met Terry's parents once. I almost cried. They were actually the sweetest most amazing people I had met. Oh my goodness, how could anyone possibly hate Terry or her family?

Of course, I didn't know what happened to her behind closed doors but from what I saw. She was happy, her parents were happy, her siblings were happy and nothing seems to ever kill their mood.

I loved that.

"Hey, Y/N... how come I've never seen or heard of your parents? Who are you going to ask?"

Shit.

Shit shit shit.

Could I really tell her? The amount of times people had betrayed my trust. Could I really tell her what really went on at home? I don't know.

Maybe not in detail at least.

"Uhm." I hesitated, Terry's gaze softened. "They're-They're not here right now."

Instead of shrugging or saying that its okay, her expression instantly saddened. I frowned when she placed her hand on my shoulder gently.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I hope you're okay, don't forget that I'm always here for you."

I scrunched up my face in confusion, I pushed her away when she tried to pull me in for a hug. I then giggled.

"Terry, my parents aren't gone, they're just not in this state!" I explained with a chuckle. Terry let out a sigh of relief then she laughed along with me.

"Oh! Well that's good, sorry." She giggled. Was it good? I'm not sure.

"So why don't you just ask her over the phone?" Terry asked, her eyes twinkling. I don't think many people lived without parents in these times, maybe it was just me, I don't know.