thirty one - back to square one

Contains blood and violence!

August 11th 1983.

"Shit, I have no more. You got one?"

I frowned playfully, smirking. Michael was gazing at me pleadingly. Of course he's run out of cigarettes.

The sky was clear and the air was warm, loud shouting echoing from in front of us while 'Every Breath You Take' played softly on the radio from Brian's boombox beside us. We were sitting on the stands of the playing field beside school again. Brian had asked us to come watch him train but we were more watching each other instead of actually focusing on whatever the hell he was doing with Zach on the grassy pitch.

"Are you serious? Smoking kills Michael." I teased, waving my packet of cigarettes in his face. He pouted, snatching it out of my hand and helping himself to it.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't think I'll ever see the day you quit smoking." I stated with a giggle, Michael smiled, lighting his cigarette as he leaned his head on my shoulder. I sighed softly, grinning.

"How's the hickey healing?" Mike asked randomly with a smirk, my eyes widened. I then realised he probably had the perfect view of my neck and there was probably a chance I didn't hide his little gift he left behind. It was mad how people still noticed, even with it covered or not.

Terry was in top of course, I'm not able to hide anything from her. Grandma thought I hurt myself and B/N just questioned it like the stupid innocent child he is. I was wearing makeup over it too! If I couldn't see it, how did they?!

I placed my hand on my neck, looking away from Michael with a nervous smile. "You jackass, you almost got me in trouble for that."

"Want me to add one more?"

"No!"

I rolled my eyes again, pushing Michael away from my shoulder. He laughed loudly, bringing his cigarette back up to his mouth.

I heard Brian groan loudly in front of us, stomping over to the stands angrily with Zach at his tail, shouting.

"Brian! Come on man I'm sorry! I don't even know how to play football!" Zach exclaimed pleadingly, approaching us quickly from the field. Brian groaned loudly, grabbing his water bottle from the bench and practically pouring it all over his head. Mike laughed.

"Doesn't look like you're doing much." Mike stated, blowing out smoke heavily. Brian rolled his eyes.

"What do you know about football? You literally played guitar for a living." Brian shot back angrily, eyeing Zach. Zach made a face.

"So what? Girls found it attractive." Michael replied flatly, placing his hand around my waist and pulling me to his side. I smiled. I didn't know Michael used to play an instrument. Oh god what a good day to be his girlfriend.

"What's with you and girls Mike? You literally act like they're your entire life, what about us? You've left us every since you got your first girlfriend." Zach complained, joining in the conversation. I frowned. Well this was taking a turn.

Michael breathed in deeply from his cigarette, sighing. "At least I actually pull, look what happened between you and Maisie."

"We do not talk about Maisie! That's old news."

It was really awkward having to listen to their conversation which made me wriggle out of Michael's grip, standing up and lighting a cigarette of my own. I heard them talking indistinctly behind me but I chose to ignore them.