Chapter 2

WINTER SOLDIER

Digging his way out of the ruins of the Hydra base, Winter managed to take an exit nearby before the building collapsed into a fiery blaze.

He made his way outside seconds after the quinjet made it into the air, and out of range for him to do anything about.

Standing there, gaze upwards, the soldier watched as the jet vanished before his eyes. He couldn't comprehend how that was even possible.

Lowering his gaze, Winter looked around at the mass of dead hydra agents, the scene seemed eerily familiar to the him but he couldn't grasp why. He looked at the frozen faces of the men as they laid dead on the ground around him and something at the back of his mind began to tingle.

"Soldat"

Hearing the title, Winter remained gazing at the dead men, his mask muffled his deep breaths as his handler approached him.

"Return to base" Pierce said, giving a command that the soldier could not disobey. Bringing his gaze to Pierce, Winter watched the man nudge his head in the direction to his side where the tactical team stood, ready and waiting.

Upon returning to base, they strapped him down in a chair that he was very familiar with. The room filled with machines, computers and a horrible green yellow light. Feeling hands on either side of his shoulders push him backwards, Winter stared straight ahead void of emotion as they secured him with straps.

"Wipe him and reprogram. Before you do, make him suffer, he's the reason the mission failed, again." Pierce said. "We don't tolerate failure. We still don't have the cube in our possession. Make. Him. Pay. Punishment is necessary, there is no room for failure in this organisation."

One doctor gripped Winter's jaw and forced his mouth open to put a bite guard in. Having no choice, Winter bit down on it as they began the torture. They reminded him who he belonged to, that he was a weapon for their use and nothing more. Screams tore from his throat as the pain coursed through his entire body, wiping his mind again, making him the compliant soldier with a fresh palate.

Every nerve in his body was set alight, and he bit down on the guard in his mouth while he gripped the chair arms so hard his flesh knuckles turned white, the chairs arm bent at the strength of his metal hand. His screams rang out through the room while Pierce and his tactical unit looked on at the his torment, as if it was entertainment for them.

When they had successfully wiped him again, Winter felt the pain ease and the machines arms lift off him. Pierce began to speak the soldiers trigger words in Russian.

"Zhelaniye " (Longing)

"Rzhaviy" (Rusted)

"Semnadtsat" (Seventeen)

"Rassviyet" (Daybreak)

"Pech" (Furnace)

"Devyat" (Nine)

"Dobroserdechniy" (Benign)

"Vozvrashcheiya na rodinu" (Homecoming)

"Odin" (One)

"Gruzovoy vagon" (Freight Car)

Winter felt the hold take place, becoming a weapon again. Sitting there cold and emotionless, he waited for his next order.

"Soldat?" Pierce said.

"ya gotov otvechet" (ready to comply) Winter responded numbly. 

"Good, now here's your mission."