Chapter 81

PARIS

Alex slammed a palm down on the concrete floor of the terrace. It was late afternoon and they were having a training session.

"Oh come on!" She groaned. "You just let me win!"

Bucky pushed himself up on his knees.

"No, i didn't. You won fair and square doll."

She scoffed, rising up to her full height. "I'll believe that when i don't feel you pulling your punches." Her hand came down in offering, he took it and stood up.

When she stepped back, he watched as gold magic circled her arms, swirling down to her wrists and into her hands. Twin blades appeared from the hilt all the way to the tip of the sharp weapon. And with a smooth circular movement, she sliced them through the air.

"I'm not pulling my punches," He protested, a scowl on his face. It infuriated her even more, because it was an outright lie.

"Stop lying to me."

They glared at each other. Bucky had his reasons for not wanting to use his full strength with her, especially after what was done by his hands.

"I'm not a porcelain doll, Bucky. I can take a hit--" she paused, glancing down to move one blade to join the other in her left hand. "--And then some." She finished. He didn't like that statement, but she didn't care.

Alex twisted her right wrist and gold magic sparkled, creating a solo blade from hilt to end. She tossed it to him and he caught it with ease.

Bucky's mouth hung agape. "Did you just..."

"Make a blade out of magic? Yes, yes i did." She cut him off before he could finish the thought. Alex grinned wickedly.

"Damn doll, you never cease to amaze me." Bucky bit his lip, admiring the blade. It was deadly beautiful. Not a true seraph blade but a foolproof replica.

The fact she crafted it from pure magic alone told him just how powerful she'd become. It was a shame she couldn't test the limits of her powers, because doing so would call every damn agent right to them.

Alex curved her fingers around the hilts of her twin blades.  "Come on Soldier, show me what you got."

The hint in the playful taunt made his gaze cut straight to her. A brow arched as he watched a pure devilish smirk grow on her face. A wink followed.

Lunging forwards, Alex twirled her body, swinging the twin blades in a figure eight symbol before bringing them both down. Metal met metal and the sharp sound echoed the air around them. Not that anyone could hear it, the house they occupied had a shield around it.

Bucky shoved her back and they circled each other. Slow and challenging steps. When he side stepped in preparation to attack, she saw the move coming from a mile away. It was one that Jace had done many times with her.

Alex avoided it by quickly bringing one blade to her mouth, biting down and holding it with her teeth. She used her free hand to brace herself as she flipped backwards. It made Bucky stop mid attack to look at her. It was like she was a calisthenics queen.

Alex balanced her entire form off one arm with no struggle in sight. Her body angled and twisted, then gracefully her foot met the floor, followed by the other. Despite the blade at her mouth, there was a smirk. And he felt his stomach flutter.

"When did you learn that move?" He questioned, and she laughed, taking the blade out of her mouth.

"uhh, it's something i've always known. Just never flaunted it... Till now."