Chapter 49

Arriving back at the compound, Alex and her comrades were met with two black SUV's, with a few shield agents standing guard outside like soldiers—feet shoulder width apart, arms crossed at the front and black glasses on their eyes.

"Speak of the devil" Sam muttered, stepping out of the car. Alex followed while Bucky was already out offering his hand. She took it. 

"How the hell does he get here so fast?" Bucky asked. But it was more a statement as his brows pinched together in wonder.

Alex scoffed. "He's got visuals everywhere," She came to a stop between the two men at the head of the car. Taking the first steps she headed up the compounds entrance with Bucky and Sam following after her.

"Prepare yourself for an explosion," Sam said, warning Bucky while trying to lighten the situation. The super soldier rolled his eyes.

"I promise, i'll try to control myself boys." Alex's tone held a hint of sarcasm in it.

During the trip back from Germany, Alex texted her brother letting him know what to expect and what happened on the mission, solely because she knew Fury would find out before they got back.

Walking into the conference room Sam took lead while Alex followed after him and Bucky brought up the rear this time. She felt like she was being protected by her own personal bodyguards, it would've been funny had this situation been different.

"What the hell was that out there?!" Fury snapped at the three of them as soon as they entered. Sam held his hand up in surrender. 

"They were smuggling weapons not just serums, sir." he answered respectfully, taking the brunt of lashings first.

"They were all super soldiers too." Bucky added, and Steve arched a brow. Alex finished the explanation with an add in of her own.

"And, they got away."

The sigh that filled the room from the director made tension start to simmer.

"Did i not say you were supposed to stop them, to find out everything you could about who's behind this without causing further problems." Fury said, eyeing the three of them with scolding looks as if they were mere children in training.

Crossing his arms, Sam looked at him with a deadpan glare as if he was silently telling the director to, check himself.

Bucky stepped beside Alex. "Look, we tried to do that but they got away because there were eight of them," he said "They had containers full of ingredients to make the serums, and many boxes of weapons—enough for a full blown attack."

Steve cut in before anyone else could. "Eight!?" He balked. "Wait, you're saying there's eight super soldiers running around out there??" The bewilderment in his features was noticeable. Bucky nodded.

"maybe more," He shrugged.

The captain swore under his breath while running a hand through his hair. Though, while that information meant something significant to the team, it was as if it meant nothing to Fury, because all his attention was on Alex.

"Alex, maybe i made a mistake in thinking you could handle this because all i hear is that you're to blame for all the mess out there!" He exclaimed. Alex stood there taking it all as his words angered the living hell out of her.

"Hold up!" She threw one hand up. "did you not hear—this isn't my fault! I didn't make the super soldiers or put the damn containers on the trucks!"

"You threw them off!"

She exhaled through her nose, the control she kept at remaining calm was mind-blowing.

"I wasn't about to let them have more ingredients to make the serums! I did what i had to do to put a temporary pin into their plans." She said. "Besides, who ever is behind this is a woman and they call her Powerbroker. She's planning on rebuilding an empire that was destroyed. I'll let you all ponder on that for a second,"