Chapter 78

PARIS

Going to bed and waking up alone had been a common thing for Alex, but today was different. When her eyelids fluttered opened, blinking away the sleepy haze. Her vision landed on a handsome super soldier curled up beside her. She smiled warmly in memory of their passionate reconciliation last night.

After they were done worshipping each other, they shared a bath and Bucky doted on her even more. Massaging her shoulders while leaving gentle kisses on her neck. Helping dry her off and then brushing her hair.

Alex let him do whatever he wanted, but when it came time for her to face the mirror she kept it fogged. It was when he stood behind her, arms around her waist with his chin resting on her shoulder that she listened to what he said.

"You're beautiful, and you don't need the mirror to tell you that. You're a strong, brave, and incredible woman. And those scars do not define you." He said and she wept silently. But he was there to kiss her tears away.

"Every time you look in the mirror, any mirror, i want you to look at yourself as someone new. The old you is gone, and in her place stands a Queen with a heart of gold. But remember one important thing," He added, and she cut in before he could finish.

"And what's that?"

Bucky smiled, his lips grazing her earlobe. "You're beautiful, and mine, and i love you with everything in me."

Alex ended up de-fogging the mirror, removing the spells she'd placed on them by the end of the night. Because she realised that with his help, she could start seeing herself as someone new. Yes, the old Alex was gone, but this new version was somebody she could learn to love.

Laying in the lush bed, Alex gazed at her sleeping boyfriend, and seeing the peace on his face was enough to make her heart swell. She didn't think they'd ever get back to this.

"Y'know, someone once told me it's rude to stare," Bucky rasped, eyes still closed.

Alex crinkled her nose and hid the lower part of her face under the covers.

"I wasn't staring" She mumbled

"Oh, no?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I was gazing, there's a difference."

Bucky's eyes slowly opened and he admired her through a soft gaze. It made her melt. The sunshine was filling the room through sheer curtains, creating an equally soft setting. Somehow the gentle rays shined behind him and casted his silhouette in a godly glow. His lips curved into a happy smile, and she moved the quilt under her chin, revealing a slightly shocked expression.

"What?" he asked, his morning voice was deep, giving her butterflies.

"Nothing...i just," She paused, her eyes softening. "You look..."

"I look?"

"You look angelic..." Then she giggled and he snaked an arm over her waist, hand pressing against the small of her back as he moved her closer. Alex gasped and smiled against his lips.

"Only one of us is the angel, babydoll. And i hate to break it to you, but it isn't me," He quipped, playfully, and she couldn't help but laugh.

"How does coffee sound?" she asked and he sighed.

"That sounds like the best idea, but maybe in like—another ten minutes." Bucky cuddled her in his arms and she didn't object to the idea of spending more time in bed with him.

They checked in with each other, how they felt, what they dreamed, if anything. To both their surprises, their answers were pretty in sync. Neither had any nightmares, and the sleep was one of the best they've had in a long while.