Chapter 67

The nights were the worst because the silence and darkness clawed its way into Alex's heart. Often she would lay on the single mattress atop an uncomfortable steel framed bed, and stare at the ceiling for hours. Praying for all the innocent lives she took daily. 

The faces flashed across her mind. Their screams echoed in her ears. Their begs for mercy tugging her heart strings. She prayed their souls could find peace, that their families could be forgiving.

Doing the crime was one thing but having to relive it during the quiet of night over and over again was a completely different scenario. That type of dark poison etched into her heart like a blade being pushed deeper inch by inch, dissolving every bit of who she was.

Some days Alex wished the serum actually had changed her into a compliant killer with no remorse for her actions because it was too damn painful to carry. It only worsened when she saw Bucky—Winter look at her with absolutely no recognition. Cold silver eyes that should be ocean blue and filled with love, looked straight through her as if she was a painting on a wall.

Whenever something went wrong during a mission, or just because Sharon was having a bad day, Alex would suffer the brunt of it. Usually resulting in a torture session where she would have visions blasts rocking her cortex, or a beating by Winter himself. It only added fuel to the fire of how much the powerbroker was going to pay once this was over.

Returning to base after a successful mission, Alex followed Winter into the main room, watching as he walked over to Sharon and handed her the data stick they were sent to retrieve. He returned to his position, standing feet shoulder width apart by one of the support structures.

"Perfect!" Sharon beamed, giving the stick to an assistant nearby. Her attention was on the monitor as she stood behind the man.

Alex realised that whatever was on that stick must have been super important, because Sharon had a pep in her step about it, more so than any other item they had retrieved for her. However, to the powerbroker's dismay, it took seconds for the data stick to malfunction inside the computer, and erupt into flames, causing a small fire. Assistants hurried with fire extinguishers and profane words echoed the room.

Sharon cut her gaze to Winter. "Why did it malfunction!?" She asked, then her gaze landed on Alex. When neither of them replied, she shouted.

"Answer me!"

Winter continued to look straight ahead because he had no idea what to say. They had done everything right on their end but the disk simply malfunctioned. Though what Winter didn't know was that the few moments after Alex retrieved the disc before giving it to him, she instilled a virus. Her duty was to do anything possible to slow down the bitches uprising.

Alex side eyed the situation, and could tell Sharon was two seconds away from retaliating. She wanted to avoid the beating Winter would get from this. As she thought it over, a muscle feathered in her jaw, then she steeled herself and parted her lips to speak.

"Maybe it's sick of your bullshit," Alex muttered.

Sharon whipped her head around. She arched her brow in question, seeming as if she was imagining Alex speaking out of line.

"excuse me?" She said, heels clicking on the concrete floor as she walked over, standing with her posture straight and face inches away. The self control Alex had in that moment had surprised even herself, it took so much to not punch the bitch in the face. Because how dare she get into her personal space like this.

"I said," Alex began again, gaze remaining forwards and idle as if she was staring through the woman. "maybe it malfunctioned, because it's sick of your bullshit,"