Chapter 69

The day had finally arrived, Sharons revolution. Everyone had parts to play, including the Avengers who were already in position.

Alex and Winter headed inside the building at sundown, commanded to set explosives around all the levels. While Vision's job was to hack the systems. Sharon's super soldiers were tasked with storming the government building and taking hostages. Half of them were met with the Avengers on the outside, a battle breaking out on the streets.

Tony and Sam were airborne, picking them off from above. Clint and Natasha paired up, while Wanda used mind gifts on the soldiers, rendering them unconscious. Scott used pim-particles to decrease his size to that of an ant, but big enough to disable the bombs that were set around the vicinity. 

Civilians panicked, running in every which direction as they tried to get away from the chaos. Though there were a few who stood by on the side lines, phone cameras capturing moments they were used to by now. It was a normal day when the heroes battled some form of evil in New York.

Sam located the powerbroker on sight and made his way over to handle her. While Jace had his eyes set on Rumlow with a new found confidence. The Shadowhunter was out for blood, and the commander was his target.

Inside the building, Alex did the opposite to what she was told to do. Every explosive she set was not set. In fact, it wasn't even placed. And the ones Winter set, she disarmed when he wasn't looking. 

Alex readied herself to stop her partner. Try to get through to him or at the very least, have his attention solely on her. Because if it was on her, then he wasn't continuing his task. 

Placing her hand over his right arm, she watched him slowly drag his gaze away from the bomb, upwards to her.

"Stop." she said, but he gripped her wrist, twisted it and flipped her over. A strained gasp echoed the room, and she rolled aside, avoiding a hit. 

"You need to stop, this isn't right!" She tried again, getting to her feet. But it made no difference. He was like a robot.

Winter stalked towards her as she backed away from him, making her come up short against the wall. Alex moved aside just in time. Her eyes widened when his metal fist went straight through the plaster work. They both stared at the broken wall for a split second before she pushed off it with a frustrated growl and shoved him back.

"Come get me then!" Alex ran, and just like she'd planned, Winter chased her, abandoning his job.

Running through the hallway, making her way towards an exit, Alex shoved her palms forwards and blasted the double doors open. Glancing left and right, she noticed a ladder leading down. Taking that route, Alex jumped over a condenser unit and made it to the ladder. When she stole a glance over her shoulder, he was hot on her trail.

Curling her fingers around the edges, Alex skimmed the soles of her boots along the sides as she descended, landing on her feet. Looking up, she saw him already gripping the ladder.

Scanning the area, Alex saw pure chaos unfolding. The sight of her friends, people she called family had made her heart yearn to run to them and pretend the past few months had never happened. Clint noticed her from where he was perched, arrow knocked and ready.

"I got eyes on our girl." He said, and Tony's voice came in reply.

"Where?"

"East side building, uh...Bucky or...the soldier is hot on her trail. Is that a good thing?" Clint asked.

"Don't hurt him!" Natasha exclaimed. "Remember Alex's plan," She swiped a soldiers feet and knocked him out with her gun.

Clint let the arrow fly, landing its mark in one of the men who was nearby Alex. She heard the whistle and saw it fly right past her. As her face whipped to where it landed, she exhaled, brows creasing before looking where it came from.