Chapter 1 - Seventh Princess (part 1)

In the late spring of the third month, the sun was warm and the wind was clear as orioles sang in Chang'an.

  The dawn's light faintly emerged as the stars gradually disappeared. The towering and lofty drum tower atop the main gate of the Imperial City beat out the echoing sound that announced the break of day. Drum towers from the streets to the main roads followed in succession, the rumbling of the drums rolling across the hundred-plus neatly arranged city squares, rousing the majestic imperial capital from its sleep.

The night curfew was lifted, the gates opened wide. The cold, empty streets were soon filled with the rising and falling noise of people talking to one another as carts and wagons sped out of the heavily guarded gates into the dense, crowded flow of people on Zhuque Street.

  Clouds rose from the horizon through the rose-tinted skies, the golden and dazzling morning sunlight breaking through the clouds and streaming down, enveloping thousands of families in a brilliant, glittering light. It was a scene of peace and prosperity.

  Inside the Taiji Palace, maids carried gilded copper pots and dewy flowers plucked before sunrise through the winding corridors.

  The ornaments on their bright skirts sweeping across the recently renovated flower tile floor produced a rustling sound akin to drizzling rain.

  Chun Ru lifted the canopy curtain, entered the inner room, and put down the copper basin.

  Just as she uncovered the incense burner to switch out incenses, a few pained murmurs came from behind the large, black lacquer landscape painting screen.

  "Elder brother... elder brother...."

  Chun Ru walked around the screen, lifting up the muslin screen, her sight falling on the face of the seventh princess with a frown.

  "Princess?"

  She wrung a handkerchief to wipe Seventh Princess Li Yaoying's face, softly calling her name.

  The seventh princess was delicate and often had nightmares. Many doctors were invited to treat her without success. The maids had long been used to it.

Hearing Chun Ru's gentle call, Li Yaoying woke up from her nightmare.

  A teardrop fell from her thick eyelashes and slid down her cheeks.

  Chun Ru asked distressedly, "Did you have a nightmare again? Were you exhausted from the palace banquet last night?"

  Li Yaoying's eyes were hazy with tears. She stared blankly for a while at the distorted shadows that freely penetrated through the screen onto the inner room's floor.

  In front of her eyes was a magnificent bedchamber, not a battlefield that resembled purgatory on Earth.

  The dream's gruesome scene of rivers of blood and mutilated body parts faded away.

  Li Yaoying slowly sobered up. Smiling, she casually wiped her wet eyes and got up to get ready.

  Nothing more than a nightmare.

  Chun Ru picked up the blond Jialing Pinga patterned comb and combed her hair, smilingly saying, "His Majesty and Qin wang have won a big battle. The news of the victory has spread all over Guanzhong, so it won't be long until Qin wang will be able to return in triumph."

  The seventh princess called for elder brother in her dream, so she must have been worried about the second prince, Qin wang, who was away on a campaign with the emperor.