Chapter 159

The room was bathed in a soft, hazy daylight, and the charcoal furnace crackled and popped.

Sultan Gu had not yet awakened.

Next to the bed lay the demon mask he typically wore.

Yao Ying gently lifted the bedding and knelt beside Sultan Gu, studying his face up close.

The scars are crisscrossed on his skin, like traces of marks left by fire.

Yaoying held her breath nervously and leaned forward.

As long as she raised her hand, she could feel the scars on Sultan Gu's face to determine whether this hideous and terrifying face was real.

  She reached out her hand cautiously.

But instead of touching Sultangu's face, she picked up the Persian thin blanket piled haphazardly at the foot of the bed.

She had been making a fuss last night, kicking off the quilt while dispensing the medicine. Sultan Gu pressed the thin blanket on her legs again and again, so that it would not be too heavy to make her uncomfortable and prevent her from catching a cold.

Yaoying smiled, shook off the thin blanket and covered Sultan Gu with gentle movements, for fear of waking him up.

He was on guard almost day and night along the way, and she didn't know how many hours he could sleep every day.

Yaoying stared at Sultan Gu for a while, and then looked away and quietly got out of bed.

    She didn't care whether his face was real or fake.

The clothes she had changed out of had been tidied away. On the table sat two bowls of cold vegetarian soup and cakes, the broth congealed, the cakes having soaked all night, swelling and turning snowy white.

Yao Ying, who's padding barefoot on the carpet, hold her shoes and stocking and cautiously made her way to the outer room. She tied up her long hair, put on her socks and shoes, and fastened her leather belt. In the past, she had been pampered, with three or four maids solely responsible for combing her hair. Now, she was able to skillfully put her hair into a bun on her own, in both women's and men's hairstyles.

There was a rustling sound of footsteps outside the house, and someone knocked on the door.

   Yaoying opens the door.

The soldier stood outside the door with a respectful expression. His eyes fell on the threshold. When he saw a pair of exquisite deerskin boots that obviously did not look like men's boots, he was stunned for a moment and raised his head.

Yao Ying stood handsomely in front of the door, with her hair tied on top. She was wearing a half-sleeved brocade robe with beaded patterns and a lapel that he found last night. She had fastened a belt around her waist and carried a dagger. Her complexion was pale and her features look beautiful. She smiled at the soldier.

The soldier came back to his senses and whispered: "Is the princess feeling better?"

Yao Ying nodded and said: "General Su is not awake yet, but do you have something important to report to him? If it is not urgent, just wait for half an hour."

The soldier scratched his scalp and said, "It's not an important matter. Last night, the regent ordered Alanruo to get the medicine. The city was under martial law and he couldn't go out. This morning, he attempted to go with the prescription but was turned back by the city patrol. The city is still under strict surveillance."

Yaoying's heart moved as she stepped out of the threshold, closed the door, and asked the soldiers to show her the prescription.

The soldier brought the prescription, and she took it and looked at it carefully.  It was written in two versions: one in Hu language, the other is in Sanskrit. She could understand some Hu language, and the herbs listed were precisely what was needed for soothing medicinal effects.