Chapter 147

The rushing water was splashing, the shade under the locust dense and green, and the weeping willows stirred and tossed in the gentle breeze.

A carriage drove across the river, over the long bridge, stopping in front of the river bank. The guards retreated. Zheng Biyu lifted the curtain, eyes scanning around before indicating that Li Xuanzhen could get off.

Li Xuanzhen's head was wrapped in a flat cloth turban, and he wore a worn narrow-sleeved cloth robe. He jumped out of the carriage. A soldier brought a horse with an arrow quiver and a bundle of other things hanging off the side of the saddle.

Zheng Biyu did not get off. Sitting in the carriage, she faintly said: "Your Highness, I can only send you here."

Li Xuanzhen turned back to look at her, "Yu Niang, thank you."

Zheng Biyu smiled: "Your Highness doesn't need to thank me. I am just returning the favor."

Li Xuanzhen remembered that man, stunned.

The wind was strong by the bridge. Zheng Biyu raised her hand to brush back the hair on her temples that was blown astray by the wind: "Dalang, for not killing Zheng Wu back then, I am very grateful to you."

...

Zheng Wu was the Zheng family's servant who later became Zheng Biyu's guard. In her first marriage, Zheng Wu sent her to marry and watched her and her husband enter the green tent, bridal room and ornamented candles.

Zheng Biyu never looked at Zheng Wu. She was the di daughter of an influential family, with noble birth. With virtue and reputation spread far and war, she was destined to marry into a high family as the matriarch. How could she belittle herself and pity the family's slaves?

The day after her wedding, Zheng Wu left.

He went to the battlefield, following a son of the Zheng family. Starting from the lowest common soldier, he accumulated military achievements little by little. He killed the enemy bravely and was soon promoted, but there were too many people like him in this chaotic world. But, he was only a servant of the Zheng family after all. No matter how hard he fought, he ended up being a mere small lieutenant beside the Zheng family's son.

Zheng Biyu's first husband died at the hands of the Li family. A few days before the city broke down, Zheng Wu came to her.

"Miss... The Zhao family is not a match for the Li family... The Wei army will conquer the city in a few days."

He carried a sword and stood at the bottom of the steps. Covered in blood, looking rushed, his shining black eyes looked straight at Zheng Biyu.

Finally, he summoned up the courage to say the words, "Come with me. I'll take Miss away and be good to Miss for the rest of my life."

Since she was young, Zheng Biyu had familiarized herself with the female teachings and followed the rules, never stepping a single toe out of line.

That night, she didn't know where she got the determination from. Lifting her skirt and descending the stone steps one by one, she walked to Zheng Wu.

Zheng Wu's heart blossomed.

They didn't say a word and looked at each other for a while.

Just when Zheng Wu wanted to open his mouth to say something, the sound of footsteps suddenly rang out. A person sent by the Zheng family snuck into the Zhao mansion, found his way over, and knelt down at Zheng Biyu's feet, "Miss, a distant branch of our family is now serving under the Great General of Wei County, and is quite trusted. The Langjun has sent his servant to inform Miss that the Wei army is coming unobstructed and that the Zhao family has reached a dead end. He says that Miss need not be frightened. The Great General of Wei County, General Li, has already sent down his orders. The Wei army will not offend Miss."