Chapter 8 - Public Execution

Xu Biao was having wine in the middle area of Pingkang Square.

  The northern area, which was close to the wall of the square, was a place where the lower class prostitutes gathered and lived. They could get to work as soon as they were handed money.

  The intersection in front of the middle area was full of pavilions and buildings, where beautiful women enticed using their skills. Whether fat or thin, each had their own talents, attracting the noble sons and wet-behind-their-ears youths in the capital to wander around and hang out. The place was as busy as a marketplace, with an endless stream of carriages and horses.

  The southern area was full of courtyard residences, golden houses to keep their mistresses. If you were not a noble or high official, you were unable to enter its doors.

  The new dynasty was established, and the situation gradually stabilized. Prime Minister Zheng issued the "Decree of Seeking Talents" in Li De's name, announcing the reopening of the preliminary round of the imperial examination.

  The exam candidates were not limited by their family background and origins, not restricted by their status. All talented people under the heavens could take the examination.

Once the edict was issued, the whole world was stunned.

  The literary scholars from the all over went north in response to the imperial edict. The famous households and noble families who had scattered throughout the various region to escape the war also returned to the capital one after another. Pingkang Square became more and more lively and noisy by the day.

  Among the three areas, the most prosperous was naturally the middle area.

  It was not yet sunset but the spacious doorways in front of the wine shops had already hung up a row of lanterns.

  The heavily layered curtain couldn't hide the laughter and songs coming from the building.

  The pipa was clear and melodious, the huqin was passionate, the golden bell was loud and resonating, and the konghou was mellow and rich.

  In the middle of the melodious music, a few Hu entertainers with colorful cloaks draped over their shoulders, wearing purple gauze wide-sleeve garments and long skirts around their waists, stood on the carpet with bare feet, gently swaying their slender waists, dancing lightly and gracefully.

The music was fast at times then slow, and the dancers also moved accordingly.

  When the music was fast, the dance was bright and beautiful, energetic and powerful. When it was slow, it was graceful and delicate, light and charming.

  Soon, the Hu entertainers would timely sweat through the gauze garments, their snow-white skin faintly visible.

  Indescribably charming and enchanting.

  At the end of the song, the Hu entertainers raised and turned their waists, turquoise eyes dilating with emotion, slowly taking off their clothes.

  The drinkers in the building had long looked dumbstruck.

  The whole building was silent. Upstairs and downstairs, all the eyes, without exception, were fixed on the Hu women's long and slender fingers that slowly spread open the clothes.

  Xu Biao's mouth was wide open and excitedly gulped his saliva.

  Suddenly, with a loud bang, the door was knocked open.

Several unsheathed long blades pried open the curtain, and golden, dazzling sunlight poured into the hall.

The thick fragrance of powder and overflowing wine was lightened by the incoming gust of wind.