Chapter 109: Eldest Brother Regrets

Chang'an.

After reading the secret report, Li Xuanzhen's face was as gloomy as water.

Qin Fei and several other ministers followed him out of the study. They looked at Li Xuanzhen's back, then gave each other a look. Before they could say anything, Li Xuanzhen suddenly trembled and fell to the ground.

"Your Highness!"

Qin Fei came forward a few steps and held Li Xuanzhen up.

Li Xuanzhen clutched the letter tightly and coughed out a mouthful of blood.

Everyone paled with fright. Not long ago, during the Northern Rong's attack, the Crown Prince defended Liangzhou to the death. His body was seriously wounded, not yet healed; vomiting blood was no trivial matter!

The eunuch was frightened, breaking into a brisk walk, and repeatedly urged the guards to get the imperial physician.

Qin Fei helped Li Xuanzhen back to the house. Soon after, the sound of footsteps came from the front corridor, and the advisors, generals, and soldiers waiting in the outer courtyard had to retreat. Crown Princess Zheng Biyu and the imperial physician came together.

Zheng Biyu entered the inner room and asked, "Why did His Highness vomit blood? Was he practicing martial arts again?"

Qin Fei lowered his eyes, retreated to the screen, and replied: "His Highness has just finished reading the letter from the Pei family."

On the couch, Li Xuanzhen's eyes were tightly closed, his face looking ill. He was still clutching the letter in his hand.

Zheng Biyu sat in front of the couch, prying off his fingers. She hurriedly finished the letter, all sorts of feelings welling in her heart, and sighed softly.

Princess Wenzhao has already perished, what was the use of making clear her birth?

The Seventh Princess, whose charm and loveliness made the wealthy youths of the capital yearn day and night for her, would never come back.

The doctor took a look at Li Xuanzhen's old wounds, reapplied medicine, and wrote a new prescription. He advised, "His Highness's old injuries have not yet healed. He must be calm, and by all means, not anger."

Zheng Biyu looked at the unconscious Li Xuanzhen's tightly knitted eyebrows. Recalling the events of the past few months, she looked grave.

She was afraid it would be difficult for Li Xuanzhen's heart to calm!

...

A few months ago, the Northern Rong attacked. Li Xuanzhen defended Liangzhou, leading the border station's soldiers in a bloody battle for several days until the reinforcements came to help.

The news spread back to Chang'an, shocking the court. Not waiting for Li De to send off reinforcements, Jin City, Xiao Pass, and Shanzhou in the northwest, Xiazhou and Jinzhou in the northeast, Jiangzhou and Shuzhou in the south, and Langzhou adjacent to Western Shu simultaneously lit fire beacons in alarm. The next couple of days, several bloody battles erupted at major posts bordering Northern Rong, Southern Chu, and Western Shu, resulting in numerous deaths and injuries.

The whole country was shaken.

When they heard that the Northern Rong cavalry had gone south and Southern Chu had seized that opportunity to attack, the rich and powerful families in Chang'an were frightened and successively fled south with their wealth and valuables. The court's ministers were scared of out their wits and strongly urged Li De to move the capital.